X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boot Frontspange

Gentlemen's,

It is the original or not?
    At one Russian forum say that it is a fake...
    I want to find true

Thanks.
    Igor.

I think we need to discuss this one a bit. I think it could be a micro cast of a period badge with an extremely well done catch, pin and hinge.

Then polished for some reason.

These first pattern clasps were never faked to my knowledge until very recently, so they were rare, but also relatively safe to buy with a quick look.

This one is just off in base metal and letters IMO.

Like I said, a good job if it is a fake, especially with the hardware.

Lets see what others have to say.

Have you done a search here for other examples of the first pattern clasp, and if so, what do you think?

It helps if you do some side by side comparisons on this clasp to help you decide.
    Last edited by John R.; 02-26-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Hardware, maker mark, hand finishing all look correct for a 1st Pattern Schwerin U-boat Spange.

I am going to load the pics for future reference.

Regards
      Mike
      Attached Files
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

other 2 pics
        Attached Files
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Thank you, Mike.

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
          Have you done a search here for other examples of the first pattern clasp, and if so, what do you think?
          John,
          I have found only two links about "U Boat clasp first pattern".
          This -
          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...22&postcount=8
          The clasp shown by me differs from it...

And this - http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=boat+clasp

Comment

Hi guys

On the last picture I can see cracks on the side of the clasp which is a very good sign imo. Any chances to see side pictures of : hinge , catch , pin and the clasp itself ?

regards
            Midas

Comment

Hi Midas,

Now I don't have other pics, but within the next few days I will have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ostbat View Post
                I have found only two links about "U Boat clasp first pattern".
                This -
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...22&postcount=8
                The clasp shown by me differs from it...

Here these differences:

Comment

Very nice comparison images. It looks almost the same to my eyes except it appears that your clasp has been polished. The reverse setup is the same and while the letters appear to be a bit off, that might be due to the polishing, angle, and flash.

The base metal should be zinc, yours almost seems like brass, but that could be a result of polishing also if the original finish was still there.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is a fake and the only fake that I am aware of right now. Clearly not anything like your clasp.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by John R.; 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Depending on how you take the images, you can make these first pattern clasps look silver/zinc in color, brass, or something in between (meaning the same clasp), very dependent on these factors and how much finish is left on the clasp.

Do you own this clasp?

Here is a first pattern obverse scanned with the scanner cover open. If you photographed this in natural light, it would look brass in color, not zinc, even though the same clasp.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by John R.; 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

All that said, since I want to give it a benefit of a doubt for now, here is a comparison of the letters on the right hand side as looking from the reverse.

This is what bothered me in my first post, but look forward to other comments.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Midas View Post
                          Hi guys

On the last picture I can see cracks on the side of the clasp which is a very good sign imo. Any chances to see side pictures of : hinge , catch , pin and the clasp itself ?

regards
                          Midas
                          I agree with this comment.

Comment

This is another image of the letters from a different period clasp, unfortunately, this is as good as I can make it. However, with some staring, you can make out the letters.

I am not sure how much we can look into the letters though, this was the first pattern clasp, who knows how long they produced it and if they used different dies or not in the process.
                            Attached Files

Comment

More pics:

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X