Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper marked w

Gentlemen,

This minesweeper is suspiciously very like the Type 3.3 outlined by Norm and most certainly does not match the characteristics of the Wiedmann example in Gordon's book even though it is marked as such.
    Never the less, if she is a fake (and I suspect so) I am intrigued as to the very high quality of the manufacture....some one went to a lot of trouble and detail.

Anyway....your comments invited please (especially yours Norm)

Cheers

Joseph
    Attached Files

Pics 3 & 4
    Attached Files

Comment

Pics 5 & 6
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joseph,
        What a badge! Fake makers are going crazy these days!
        This is fake of a fake. As you have mentioned this is so called 'feathered eagle' minesweeper with spurious Wiedmann mm added.
        Here is mine 'feathered eagle' for comparison. I bougth it as original at Kassel show when it was not proved yet that it was a fake. Now we know it with no doubt.
        Cheers,
        Hubert
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BubbaZ; 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Hi would agree Fake, these have been around for quite awhile now, have handled a couple at local shows and have never liked them. Regards

Comment

Hi Joseph,

Just as you and Hubert have stated and supported by Gary, a Type 3.3 "feathered eagle" -- the reproduction inspired by the Gablonz design.

And just as you say, the relatively high quality and unique design initially cause one to pause and ponder, but the overwhelming evidence establishes them as fakes.

These were discussed over on GCA at this link, and there's also a fake Hilfskreuzer probably from the same "maker" posted there.

Yours is fascinating --- on the one hand the Wiedmann mark makes it even "more fake" (if such a thing is possible!), and on the other it shows how well the fakers are reproducing the Wiedmann mark these days...

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your input and contributing to my further education on these badges!

The best thing that come out of this for me is appreciating the importance of research, having the correct reference material to educate one self and of course good friends like yourselves to advise and mentor me!

Many thanks again guys........until the next time!

In the meantime, I'm going find my hammer and make sure this one never hits the collectors market again!!!

Cheers

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Josko View Post
                In the meantime, I'm going find my hammer and make sure this one never hits the collectors market again!!!

Cheers

Joseph
                Hi Joseph,

Before you have at it with that hammer () could you take a good sharp straight-on closeup shot of the Wiedmann maker mark? I think we should study this closely and compare with original Wiedmann marks in case the mark turns up on other badges.

Best regards,
                ---Norm

Comment

No worries Norm....I am at work at the moment but tonight I'll take some more shots and post them for you.....before the final hammering begins!

I have to say that in my opinion the "w" m m is almost spot on in comparison to the original but the stamping depth is shallower. I reckon if the faker gets a bit more grunt into his stamp he might have it right soon!

Cheers

Joseph

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X