Minesweeper: Schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minesweeper: Schwerin

Having had my unidentified MS badge classified as a Meybauer (thanks to Norm F's chart!), I dug out my other one - a Schwerin-marked, tombak example with C-shaped flat wire catch and round head hinge pin. If I am correct, this comes-in as a Type 1 (7 waves) variant 1.1.1 on Norm's chart.

Thanks...especially to Norm!

John
    Attached Files

Reverse close-ups:
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,
      Nice early tombac Schwerin Minesweeper badge
      As you said, it is variant 1.1.1 according to Minesweepers reference table.
      Here is mine (same variation) for comparison.
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Attached Files

Comment

more pics.
        Hubert
        Attached Files

Comment

last two.
          Hubert
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice original example, congrats!

Comment

Hello John
              I agree ,that's a thumbs up.
              Regards
              Michael

Comment

Both nice badges

Btw what determines what side the round head on the hinge is? Here are two placed on the right side (majority?) but some are one the left side.

Comment

Hi Frank,
                  I would not seek any particular rule here. I would tend to think that left side placement of hinge pin head was completely coincidental. Production procedure probably assumed right side placement as a standard but sometimes workers apparently did not follow it very carefully. It concerns both dome-shaped and flat/cross-hatched hinge pin heads. Or it was just easier for a right-handed workers?
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert
                  Last edited by BubbaZ; 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtundnebel View Post
                    Btw what determines what side the round head on the hinge is? Here are two placed on the right side (majority?) but some are one the left side.
                    Hi Frank,

As Hubert says, the few times the dome head appears on the left in this common variety Schwerin seems to be a random event, and most are on the right just as you say.

However, there is a rare subtype that always has the dome head on the left. Both Jody and Rob own mint examples of this particular type which has a different maker mark containing dots between the words.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the info Hubert and Norm and sorry to hijack your thread John

Have one myself with the head on the left and quickly checked for dots but no cigar

Comment

No problem, indeed, Frank. We can all learn from this feedback.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X