WW1,Coronel & Falkland islands battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1,Coronel & Falkland islands battles

My Father was an AB on HMS Glasgow on a south atlantic "Show the flag" cruise when war broke out. The squadron met the German fleet at Coronel where the British were destroyed by the more modern German ships that included the Scharnhort,Gneisnore,Leipzig,Nurenberg & Dresden. {Please excuse any miss spelling}

The Glasgow and an armed liner (The ortrento?) were the only survivors, Glasgow returned to the Falklands for repairs, this was a fairly safe haven as it was defended by an ancient battle ship {Canopus?} with eighteen inch guns.

Repairs finished she was joined by the battle cruiser's Invincible & Inflexible, these with other RN vessels they joined battle, the rest is history of course.

My question is this, is there any recorded information from the Imperial german naval side available ?.

If you have , please mail me.

Thanks

Roy

Numerous books on the subject. I think most accounts, German and English, are in accord as to what happened at those battles. You might start with Amazon.com and use the keywords Coronel and Falklands and see what comes up.

John

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
      Numerous books on the subject. I think most accounts, German and English, are in accord as to what happened at those battles. You might start with Amazon.com and use the keywords Coronel and Falklands and see what comes up.

John

Thanks John, found some photographs of the old boy recently, one showing the early headgear....a straw hat which was I believe an early naval issue. This while in paraguay.
      Roy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X