Early U-boat Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early U-boat Badge

Can anyone identify the manufacture of this early tombak U-Boat badge?
    Attached Files

Reverse

Reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close Up Of The Eagle.

The eagle.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Catch

The catch.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by W. C. Stump; 04-28-2004, 06:41 PM.

Comment

My vote is Steinhauer & Lück.
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

Interesting asymmetrical cut-out at the keel/lower hull of the U-boat. Seen this same characteristic on late war zinc badges that can be found with both needle and broad type pins. An example of this can be found on page 427 of The Iron Time book by Previtera. I use to own a zinc badge like the one pictured in the book, except that mine had a needle pin. By virtue of the catch on your badge, I would say Steinhauer & Luck as well. By the way, a very nice looking U-boat Badge. Best regards! Tom Yanacek
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H
              My vote is Steinhauer & Lück.
              I really hope someone can come up with an identifiable Steinhauer one of these days, but I don't think this is it. It is very similar, but there are a number of small differences from the S&L characteristics the biggest of which is that S&L badges had a cut-out Swastika.

Comment

Hello Gordon,

Would all Steinhauer U-boat Badges have to have a cut-out swastika? You say that a Steinhauer U-boat Badge has never been identified? Wow! You think they would have put their incuse-relief '4' on the pin as they did on the Destroyer Badge. (At least on some of their U-boat Badges anyway.)
                Best regards! Tom Yanacek
                Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Tom

Always possible that they may have made a solid swas version but there are other different characteristics too between Bills badge and Steinhauer. Steinhauer also used a longer pin that visibly projected below the bottom of the badge. I'm more inclined to think that some of the late war unmarked zink pieces that are often identified as Schwerin may in fact be S&L.

When I say not identified, I mean I have never heard of a maker marked authenticated S&L U-Boat Badge. The characteristics of their badge can be seen from their illustrated 1940/41 catalogue however, so its possible to say that this badge of Bill's doesn't fit the S&L characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Williamson

I'm more inclined to think that some of the late war unmarked zink pieces that are often identified as Schwerin may in fact be S&L.
                    Hi Gordon,

Than in your opinion this would be the zinc S&L and not a zinc Schwerin like I always thought it was. There sure are are a couple of similarities between this badge and Bill's example and certainly when it comes down to the reverse setup, which IMO is identical.

KR
                    Philippe
                    Attached Files

Comment

reverse
                      Attached Files

Comment

Gordon, Thanks for the information.
                        Philippe, Nice U-boat Badge!
                        Best regards! Tom Yanacek
                        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Steinhauer & Lück EK1. Compare pin and hinge to Bill´s and Philippe´s examples:
                          Cheers, Frank

Comment

And the most telling for me, the unique S&L catch in profile. Compare to Bill Stump´s badge.
                            Attached Files
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Guys,

The shape of the catch on my zinc u-boat is a little more rounded but the material seems to be the same.

KR
                              Philippe
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X