L/18 UBoat for Norm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L/18 UBoat for Norm

Hi Norm here's the one you were asking for, thought I would just post pictures that way you can see exactly what you want. Sorry I dont seem to have the picture of the MM anywhere but its there hidden behind the pin. Regards
    Attached Files

OOps sorry Norm you said Tomback
    Attached Files

Comment

The MM is a high pin strike with almost half the 8 intact. Its the only one I have ever come across with the MM, I found it hidden away amongst american awards at a local show years ago. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
        The MM is a high pin strike with almost half the 8 intact. Its the only one I have ever come across with the MM, I found it hidden away amongst american awards at a local show years ago. All the best.
        Thanks Gary!

A truly awesome badge. The Mayer L/18 stamp is the classic style seen in all his marked badges, and its twin is pictured on p. 176 of Gordon's Torpedo Los.

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
        ---Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
          Thanks Gary!

A truly awesome badge. The Mayer L/18 stamp is the classic style seen in all his marked badges, and its twin is pictured on p. 176 of Gordon's Torpedo Los.

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
          ---Norm

Great badge Gary,and as Norm mentioned the correct font on the L/18 maker mark.
          As i have seen on other examples it is stamped on to the pin.

Also,on the zinc award it is interesting to see the circular catchplate "cut off " at the top.
          I do not recall seeing this before on a zinc Mayer U-Boat badge,but it certainly looks like an original badge?

Regards,Martin.
          Last edited by Martin W; 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
            Also,on the zinc award it is interesting to see the circular catchplate "cut off " at the top.
            I do not recall seeing this before on a zinc Mayer U-Boat badge,but it certainly looks like an original badge?

Regards,Martin.
            Hi Guys,

I'd say definitely a great original zinc Mayer, but yes an interesting variant in the application of the hardware. Usually they have the smaller catch plate, but this larger one was used on other types of Mayer zinc badges.

You can see it's the same catch and plate as on this zinc minesweeper, and because of its size had to be trimmed down to fit the U-Boat badge.

As well you can see it's the same hinge block but mounted upside down on Gary's with the different pin attachment.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Easier to see on these comparisons. Even the same tooling marks on the tops of the catches.

Cheers.
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Regards,Martin.[/quote]

Hi Martin I have encountered the cut off catch plate on these before and is a definately strange yet original practice on a small amount of these awards.

Great pictures and comparisons Norm . Thanks for the comments guys

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                  I just "re-discovered" another zinc Mayer just like Gary's with the cut catch plate, and with an L/18 stamp to boot, posted last October by Tom in this thread.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm

Comment

L/18 Mayer

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                    Hello Gary,
                    I guess you forgot about my example. Maybe you have some meomory loss from that rare ribbon deal a few years back.

BTW, my example is the one in Torpedo Los!

Regards,
                    Jody
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                      Hello Gary,
                      I guess you forgot about my example. Maybe you have some meomory loss from that rare ribbon deal a few years back.

BTW, my example is the one in Torpedo Los!

Regards,
                      Jody

Hi Jody very nice and the Mm in nearly the exact position.
                      Yes that Ribbon does cloud the memory at times. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X