U Boat-GWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U Boat-GWL

From threads I have looked at this appears to me to be an original badge although most all finish has been absorbed. Cast in pin and hook, indentation in hull. I think its good. What say?
    Attached Files

Rear
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bob,

I believe that the badge is ok, but have you given it the bend test? The reason I ask this is that the zinc looks very dark, as if it has a high proportion of lead in it. Also, do you have a better picture of the maker mark? It is a bit blurry in your reverse photo. The diagonal cuts in the pin look a little strange to me. I have never seen that before. I am not trying to find fault with your badge, and as I have already said it is most likely a good one. It is just hard to be completely certain sometimes with just pictures. Here are two GWL U-boat Badges for comparison. Best regards! Tom Yanacek

U-boat #1
      Attached Files
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

U-boat #1 reverse:
        Attached Files
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

U-boat #2
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

U-boat #2 reverse:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

a closeup of the 'GWL' logo:
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Bob,

Its a good original piece. The blackened finish due to oxidation of the low grade zinc is not untypical in late war U-Boat badges.

Comment

Also the twisted lines to the pin are perfectly alright. While most GWL U-Boat pins do not have them, a good percentage can be found with these lines:
                  Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

twisted line pin:
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank H
                      Also the twisted lines to the pin are perfectly alright. While most GWL U-Boat pins do not have them, a good percentage can be found with these lines:
                      Hello Frank,
                      Any idea why the diagonal striations on the pin? Perhaps just a result of the manufacturing process, when the metal stock was rolled and drawn? I have never noticed this on any GWL badge pin before, nor any other badge for that matter. Very interesting!
                      Best regards! Tom Yanacek
                      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The marks are most likely from the machine the feeds the coil wire used to make the pin.

Ed Maroli

Comment

Originally posted by emaroli
                          The marks are most likely from the machine the feeds the coil wire used to make the pin.

Ed Maroli
                          Thanks Ed,
                          That seems to make sense. Maybe an improper setting on the feeder?
                          Best regards! Tom Yanacek
                          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X