2nd E Boat Schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd E Boat Schwerin

After looking at threads it appears that this badge is original. Am I sane? This site has been great for me to compare items but opinions/another set of eyes(mine are a little old) really helps. Opinions solicited. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Rear- Larger 8
    Attached Files

Comment

This one is a little unusual. Although these Schwerins typically have bubbling, the "flaking" on this one is strange. Also, the "nail-head" on the top-hook is larger than I have seen before.

On the obverse, it has been refinished...you can see how worn the eagle is but the gold is still on the worn spots, indicating a refinish.

However, with all it's warts and pimples...I think it is authentic.
      Attached Files
      Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Eboat

Hi bob to me its a keeper,I dont see anything wrong with it .Regards Joey
        Originally posted by BobD
        After looking at threads it appears that this badge is original. Am I sane? This site has been great for me to compare items but opinions/another set of eyes(mine are a little old) really helps. Opinions solicited. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Charles
          ..I dont see anything wrong with it .Regards Joey
          Hi Joey. Do you think it is the original gold gilt on the eagle?

Comment

Eboat

Hi Lorenzo Its hard to say without holding it in your hand,but I would be happy to have this in my collection,thats all I can say Regards Joey.
            Originally posted by Lorenzo Brown
            Hi Joey. Do you think it is the original gold gilt on the eagle?

Comment

Well...as I said...I think it is "authentic", which is worthy of owning. But IMO, a refinished badge is not in the same league as an original finished badge.

Just my opinion. Any other opinions on this badge's finish?

Comment

eboat

Hi Lorenzo I see your point but isnt it better to have a badge that is maybe refinished than a copy,and you cant really say it has been refinished untill you get it in your hands.Regards Joey.
                Well...as I said...I think it is "authentic", which is worthy of owning. But IMO, a refinished badge is not in the same league as an original finished badge.

Just my opinion. Any other opinions on this badge?

Comment

Hi Lorenzo I see your point but isnt it better to have a badge that is maybe refinished than a copy,and you cant really say it has been refinished untill you get it in your hands.Regards Joey.
                  YES and NO!... I agree that having a refinished badge is vastly MUCH BETTER than having a copy!

BUT..I would prefer to make the determination of "original finish" versus
                  "refinished" BEFORE I buy it! Also, I don't think you have to always get it "in your hands" to make the determination. Sometimes you can tell from the pictures.

Any other opinions on the finish?

Comment

Eboat

Hi Lorenzo A refinished badge as you say is not the same as an original untouched one,but this badge appears original and you are saying it has been refinished,how are you so sure without holding it in your hand.Regards Joey.

Just my opinion. Any other opinions on this badge's finish?

Comment

Hi Lorenzo A refinished badge as you say is not the same as an original untouched one,but this badge appears original and you are saying it has been refinished,how are you so sure without holding it in your hand.Regards Joey.
                      I'm not positive, but it looks like it from the pictures. You can see where the details of the eagle's head and chest feathers are worn,,,but there is still a gold finish. Looks refinished to me.

" "....Well, aren't you Cute?

Comment

Eboat

Hi Lorenzo Sorry you are the expert,please except my apoligies Regards Joey
                        I'm not positive, but it looks like it from the pictures. You can see where the details of the eagle's head and chest feathers are worn,,,but there is still a gold finish. Looks refinished to me.

" "....Well aren't you Cute?

Comment

Not an "expert", Joey-boy.

Worthy of note is that you have never answered the original question:

"Do you think it is the original gold gilt on the eagle?".

Rather, you side-step the issue by making snide and sneaky insinuations.

Comment

Joey, look at the lack of detail in the eagle's features and on the acorns. It is either a worn badge or a badge made by a worn die. The finish is still on the worn sections so it was either refinished or the badge was made with a worn die and then finished.
                            Don
                            pseudo-expert

Comment

Hi,

I agree that the badge is authentic. I think the silver plating and the top hook are both fine though. The reason a lot of the silver finishes bubble is BECAUSE the finish is plated, so seeing the silver finish on this example peeling off like that is, to me, a good sign. The nail head on the top hook has the typical raised "pinch" line found on other Schwerin "tophook" badges. The "nail" head maybe larger but Schwerin don't appear to have been too discerning in which batches of nails they bent/shaped to suit their requirements - it's certainly nothing like the huge ones found on some of the Schwerin Destroyer repros!

I also question the finish - great example if the finish is genuine but I too think the gilt has probably been refinished (for the same reasons Lorenzo has outlined). The silvering looks original to me and imo it's not that uncommon to find a genuine badge with decent plated silver finish but the gilt very faded to dull/weak goldish grey. From what I've seen of Schwerin zincers, the "earlier" examples tended to have a plated silver finish whereas the later ones were more of a washed finish.

Refinishing spoils a badge imo. It seems to becoming very common with certain dealers these days though, in successful attempts to raise prices - as if they aren't high enough anyway It's not a new phenomenon though.

Regards
                              Mike K
                              Regards
                              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,731 at 02:37 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X