The Blockade Breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blockade Breakers

I'm trying to find some information on the German ships that ran the Naval blockade and their crews in World War II. I presume that these were ships of the major German lines, such as Hambug-Amerika and Nord Deutscher. Does anyone know of any sources of information on these ships, their exploits and their crews, or any books that cover them? Thanks!

Hello
    For Information, it seems (I am not sure) that Kapitan (civilian rank) Paul Hellmann was awarded the KC on 06/01/1944 (202nd soldier of the KM) as captain of the Osorno (which would be a blockade breaker).
    Would any member be able to confirm that point ?
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

You're correct, Denis. It appears that Hellmann was an officer of the German Merchant Marine (Handelsmarine), and went right from the EK I to the RK without stopping for a DK in gold. I found his information here: Paul Hellmann, RK

Comment

Thanks Bill for the confirmation

Comment

Hello Bill.
          There is an English language book titled most likely ' The Blockaderunners" . I have it but buried under TOO MANY books. Will try to locate, it is not recent but I got it as a used one.
          The 'Osorno' to my recollection made more than one trip.
          BTW: it appears to me that a misconception popped up in your post. Or at least so it seems to me. I am referring to the German Cross being a level between Iron Cross I. Class and Knightscross. That is not so but it was a quite separate order. Many Knightscross recipients never were awarded it, others received it following the award of the Knightscross while still others indeed received it before being awarded the K.C.
          Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Bernhard...
            Thanks for the lead on the book! I truly appreciate it. If you did out your copy, I'd love to know the particulars to try and track it down more quickly.
            As for my comment about the DK, you're of course absolutely correct. I was trying for a bit of humor there ( and I obviously failed). Still, I wonder if there were any RK winners who, upon further successes, received not the oak leaves but the DK after having already won the Knight's Cross?

Comment

Hello Bill.
              Small wonder the humor escaped me, we German folks are well known not to be burdened with a sense of humor.
              Now to the matter of recommendations for a high award which was found to be inadequate by the orders section of the Heerespersonalamt: I have seen in the several reference books mention of a proposed award not granted but a lesser award being bestowed such as Ehrenblattspange, D.K.i.G.. Also the other way around :ri.e. ecommended for the D.K.i.G. but awarded the R.K. As to Oakleaves recommendation? I have seen several proposals not accepted but do not recollect an available lesser ranked award bestowed instead.
              I will let you know about the book on blockade runners, now I am bound and determined to lay my hands on it!
              Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

hello Bill:
                the title etc of the book in question:
                'Axix Blockade Runners of World War II' by Martin Rice. 1981 by Naval Institute Press, Annapolis, MD. ISBN 0-87021-908-1. Illustrations mainly of ships, 159 pgs, makes interesting reading.
                BTW: the "Osorno" was a HAPAG ship.
                Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thanks very much, Bernhard!
                  I was able to locate a copy of the book for sale through one of the internet sites for used book sellers and I have ordered it.
                  I truly appreciate your help!
                  Bill

Comment

I have Günther Steinweg's 1954 "Die Deutsche Handelsflotte im Zweiten Weltkrieg: Aufgaben und Schicksal" which is a very complete record of the fate or survival of all German merchant vessels. It only gives "sample" narrative acounts of a few for their war records.

"Osorno" was a Hamburg America Line (Hapag) vessel of 6,951 BRT, launched in 1922. Scuttled in the mouth of the Gironde 25 August 1944 and partially raised and scrapped after the war.

Comment

550 pages of German text in Gerhard Huemmelchens book "Handelsstörer" which is THE book.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X