No announcement yet.

completion of yet another KM grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the Type 38b, i.e. the ones modified with the "Kalotte", the additional shelter for the bridge crew? It doesn't seem to have as many windows as the Type 38 featured in the badge.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Attached Files

Comment

What about S100 type same as on enclosed picture?
      Cheers,
      Hubert
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep, looks like an armored bridge, so not an S-38 class.

John

Comment

Good link:

http://s-boot.net/sboats-kriegsmarine-types.html

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
            What about S100 type same as on enclosed picture?
            Cheers,
            Hubert
            That's a good point Hubert. The S38B, unlike the S38 has the armoured dome-shaped Kalotte and looks virtually indistinguishable from the S100 to my eye.

Here's a collage of bridges that look to me like the S38 without the Kalotte, such as is portrayed on the 2nd pattern S-Boat badge. Below that a couple of shots of S-Boats with the Kalotte - but S48B or S100 I couldn't say.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

What a coincidence,this just arrived the other day.It looks good and typical of this very informative series of books by Gordon.

Regards,Martin.
              Attached Files

Comment

Excellent grouping!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                  What a coincidence,this just arrived the other day.It looks good and typical of this very informative series of books by Gordon.

Regards,Martin.
                  Martin, that's the book I was refering to in my previous post
                  Again, and as always, very interesting book by Gordon.
                  Cheers,
                  Hubert

Comment

# 6 in the foto is possibly S-99 from the 2. Schnellboot-
                    Schule Flottille which had all their S-38B's retrofitted with the Kalotte. S-135 which was possibly the Boot taking the fotos was an S-100 type.

Letter R Boot is from the 3rd S.-Schule Flt in the Baltic an S-38 Boot during possibly August of 1944.

notice the different air intakes 2 of them positioned on either side of the Boot and facing forward. there are two different shapes indicating one way if possible to clarify the difference in a S-38b and S-100 types.

of note is the atlantik-pirat forum with S-Boats as one of the froum headers, incredible amount of information contained within.

E ~
                    Last edited by Hirschstein; 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

let me just add a foto to clarify further :

note the square air ventilator on the side of the Boot ( S-100 Boots have round ventilators) and the addition of a single sometimes dual MG 15's for the protection of the crew. 4cm Bofors as standard equipment in the background. S-38b variant from the 8th S-Flottille.

another notation is the text to the photo caption by Bubba in post number 17, please see that the number has been omitted for security reasons and the Boot is from the 2. Schule flottille in the Baltic not the 1. S-Flt.
                      Last edited by Hirschstein; 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirschstein View Post
                        another notation is the text to the photo caption by Bubba in post number 17, please see that the number has been omitted for security reasons and the Boot is from the 2. Schule flottille in the Baltic not the 1. S-Flt.
                        Hi Hirschstein,

Thanks for your information, but please clarify.

Are you saying this ship displayed in the book is in fact an S-38b (Kalotte added) rather than an S-100, and is part of the 2. Schnellboot-Schule Flottille rather than the 1. Schnellbootflottille? And how can one tell anything without any visible markings on the boat?

And I'm still not quite sure about what features clearly differentiate the S-38b and and the S-100 visually. Is there an S-100 shown anywhere in this thread so far?

Best regards,
                        ---Norm
                        Attached Files

Comment

yes Norm I have seen these link of fotos in a cine film, see the numbers on the second Boot ?........yes hard to see without a magnifier. 1st Schnellflottille in 1945 did not have numbers on the front of the Boat like the 2. Training flottille did, as mentioned you can see the number has been "painted" out in the foto. you are correct that from the front the S-38b and S-100's look very much alike but hand rails, ventilators if seen can give you an idea. S-38b had the 4cm bofors as standard the S-100 Boots could be fitted with 4cm 3.7cm standard in 45 and even the rare 2cm Flakvierling.

Norm I will try and load up a couple S-100 pics for comparison the line drawings do not gie adequate indicators to show differences once the S-38b has the Kalotte installed. Terrance's # 6 does not have the midships 2cm Flakzwilling but did have self protection MG 15's installed. S-100's had the mid-ship 2cm arms

I go back with the following for the 2 Training Flt. S-64, S-69, S-76, S-81, S-83, S-99, S-117 all S-38b's with Kalotte installed, S-135 an S-100 Boot.
                          Last edited by Hirschstein; 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM.

Comment

am thinking this may not help much but a pic of Hugo Wendler and his crew of S-190 in spring of 1944. note the ventilator on the left the shape is different :

apologies if I am drifting away from the original topic matter ..........

Comment

Excellent thread!! Keep up the great discussion guys.

The photo is an original press photo. On the back it reads (translated)."At breakneck speed chase in speedboats sinsatzgebiet. Your strongest weapon is their high SPEED with which they are quickly approaching the enemy and push their deadly torpedoes abschiesen."

photo dated 18.8.44

Comment

Terrence and others, Boot number # 208 from the 11.S-Flottille under a different flag. This shows the appearance of an S-100 variant mid ship 2cm Flakzwilling with shield and rearward 3.7cm cannon

Terrance have you seen the colour film footage of the August 44 event at Swinemenunde, S-Boots and S-Holstein plus a couple of T-Boots, etc....... ? this is a shortened version which covers several different time zones as RK winner Albert Müller is in one of the short scenes. Note the cards - clubs on the forefront of the windscreen/bridge, a mount from the 2. Schnellboot-Flottille, not the 2. Training unit. # 6's sister Boots in colour # 7 and # 9 in dock with 3. Training Boots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW2WA...eature=related
                                Last edited by Hirschstein; 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X