• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new minesweeper

Hi guys, here is my new minesweeper badge :
    Attached Files

Hi Arden,
    Genuine tombak Schwerin minesweeper badge in nice condition but unfortunately the main pin has been replaced
    Kind regards,
    Hubert

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaZ View Post
      Hi Arden,
      Genuine tombak Schwerin minesweeper badge in nice condition but unfortunately the main pin has been replaced
      Kind regards,
      Hubert
      Yes the pin looked a bit off when I got it. Well it still is very nice!

Best Regards,

Adren

Comment

Hi Adren,

In fact, your badge is nicer than you think.

At first glance it seems the pin has been replaced, but in fact that's the original Schwerin pin which has had the sides filed down to make it straight. This was a not uncommon practise amongst soldiers to make it fit in the loops of the jacket more easily. Here's a previous thread with an unmarked Gablonz-made tombak minesweeper that has had the same kind of pin treatment.

Compare with mine below and you'll see the pin on yours is the correct length and has the same flattened tooling mark near the hinge. I think that makes your badge doubly interesting since you can be sure it saw action.

Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

It's a nice badge. I saw it somewhere and wondered about the pin, it looked like it has been there forever and what Norm says makes perfect sense and is obvious now it's been pointed out......

It's been bugging me where I saw it, I just can't remember - please tell me which dealer site it was on......

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
            It's a nice badge. I saw it somewhere and wondered about the pin, it looked like it has been there forever and what Norm says makes perfect sense and is obvious now it's been pointed out......

It's been bugging me where I saw it, I just can't remember - please tell me which dealer site it was on......
            Kai Winkler.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi Adren,

In fact, your badge is nicer than you think.

At first glance it seems the pin has been replaced, but in fact that's the original Schwerin pin which has had the sides filed down to make it straight. This was a not uncommon practise amongst soldiers to make it fit in the loops of the jacket more easily. Here's a previous thread with an unmarked Gablonz-made tombak minesweeper that has had the same kind of pin treatment.

Compare with mine below and you'll see the pin on yours is the correct length and has the same flattened tooling mark near the hinge. I think that makes your badge doubly interesting since you can be sure it saw action.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Thanks Norm for the insight!

Now that you mention the tooling mark it looks obvious. It also has the patina and been there look, I like it very much overall.

It was from Winkler, from 20% sales

Best Regards,

Adren

Comment

Originally posted by adren View Post
                It was from Winkler, from 20% sales

Best Regards,

Adren
                Well done. His site has good photos for reference, and sometimes some very nice items, but you really need those "20% off" sales to bring the prices into a reasonable range.

Cheers.
                ---Norm

Comment

HI Adren,

this is a good original tombak Schwerin badge.

As Norm mentioned the mainpin has been filed down.

A nice personalized badge,just like the hand vaulted examples we find.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Minesweeper

Hello,
                    I like the badge too and as others have stated the pin has been filed down. I used to own a Schwerin HSF that they did this to.

Regards,
                    Jody

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Hi Arden,
                        Here is my tombak Schwerin minesweeper for comparison. It is not as nice as Norm's but the tooling mark on the pin next to the hinge is clearly visible. The mainpin has been filed down, as Norm, Martin and Jody said, this is for sure, now I see it
                        Cheers,
                        Hubert

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by BubbaZ; 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Hello there,

A beautiful and original badge!

William Kramer
                          Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X