Assmann Minesweeper Badge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assmann Minesweeper Badge.

Hello guys,I'm aware that theres been some controversy in the past on these Assmann minesweepers and thought you might like to take a look at this badge and the story behind it.A friend of mine collects British cap badges,an old boy he knows socially became aware of this and gave him some badges,mainly British,for his collection.In amongst the badges was this Minesweeper badge.The old gentleman was adamant he was given this badge in 1944 or 1945 when he was a young lad.He couldn't remember whether he was given it by his uncle,who was in the armed forces,or swapped it in the playground at school with another young collector.Either way,it ended up on a belt with other badges as was apparently the fashion in those days.This old chap doesn't collect (any more) didn't know what this badge was,and wouldn't accept any money for it.I know we tend to take 'vet' stories with a pinch of salt but I think this is fairly good circumstancial evidence in favour of this badge.Anyway,here it is for interests sake,all the best,
    Attached Files

Assmann Minesweeper Badge

Back.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hinge.
      Attached Files

Comment

Whats left of the catch.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't worry about this one. This badge has all the characteristics of an original buntmetall Assmann. I also would be shocked if one day the fakers would manage to copie the typical wear and ageing of an original buntmetall badge.

KR
          Philippe
          Last edited by Philippe DB; 04-07-2004, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I've never seen any problem with these "thin hinge" Assmanns.
            Yours looks like an honestly worn example. Nice high "A" mark as well, sometimes you can hardly see those.

Skip
            LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Cheers Philippe and Skip.Actually the badge isn't mine but I posted it because I believe the Assmann minesweepers to be pre '45 and thought the provinence of this badge would help confirm it,thanks once again for the comments,

Paul

Comment

I have one to

Mine is in a bit better condition , i will post some pics soon , are lass has my bloody camera again , yours looks sound

Comment

minesweeper

Hi Paul I dont normaly associate Assman with marine badges,this gives me something to think about ,It looks good,I like the patina.Best Joey.
                  Originally posted by paul w
                  Hello guys,I'm aware that theres been some controversy in the past on these Assmann minesweepers and thought you might like to take a look at this badge and the story behind it.A friend of mine collects British cap badges,an old boy he knows socially became aware of this and gave him some badges,mainly British,for his collection.In amongst the badges was this Minesweeper badge.The old gentleman was adamant he was given this badge in 1944 or 1945 when he was a young lad.He couldn't remember whether he was given it by his uncle,who was in the armed forces,or swapped it in the playground at school with another young collector.Either way,it ended up on a belt with other badges as was apparently the fashion in those days.This old chap doesn't collect (any more) didn't know what this badge was,and wouldn't accept any money for it.I know we tend to take 'vet' stories with a pinch of salt but I think this is fairly good circumstancial evidence in favour of this badge.Anyway,here it is for interests sake,all the best,

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Charles
                    Hi Paul I dont normaly associate Assman with marine badges,this gives me something to think about ,It looks good,I like the patina.Best Joey.
                    Absolutely correct Joey, As far as I'm aware this Minesweeper is the only known Assmann marked KM badge. Never seen any other KM badges with this mm.

KR
                    Philippe

Comment

Thanks once again for the comments guys.This badge does have a nice look to it doesn't it,shame the pin is missing,have a nice easter,

Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X