U48 Cap Emblem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U48 Cap Emblem

Hi all.....Picked this up today in a local Antique shop. It was evidently lying at the bottom of a box full of EK's and other odds and ends. So, question is,could this be original.
    The metal's non-magnetic...possibly Zinc/Brass

Would appreciate any opinions...Peter.
    Attached Files

Hi Peter,

As with all handmade U-Boat traditions badges, the authenticity is generally considered "possible" unless there is ironclad provenance. Your badge does not look like any of the U-48 badges I have seen in period photos. You can see an attributed example in Gordon Williamson's "Torpedo los". I also have an example that I believe is good (can't post until Tuesday because I'm away from home).

Since your badge does not seem to resemble those in period photos, I would be inclined to doubt its authenticity.

Best Regards,

Erik
    sigpic

Comment

Hi Eric..thanks for replying. I'd like to see your example. This emblem wasn't just used on U48, I think 5 or more U-Boats used this emblem. Is it possible it came from another boat.

Comment

Almost impossible to determine IMO.

Comment

Why couldnt this be a good one?
          Made on the Uboot by someone?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post

Andy
            Exactly my thoughts Andy when I bought it. If it's ok with you Erik I'd like to show a couple of comparisons taken from the excellent Emblem thread over on GMIC.

Compare the the cats...presumably both zinc and the way the shape was 'snipped' out. The end result looks almost identical to me.
            Attached Files

Comment

The same combination of materials used to construct this Emblem showing the same aging.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello Peter. Back home now so I'm showing what I believe is a good U-48 traditions badge. The picture shows Teddy Suhren, Heinrich Bleichrodt, and Erich Zürn, apparently before Suhren and Zürn were awarded their own RKs, in front of the tower. The contents inside of the frame look vintage, but I don't have provenance. So, who knows for sure whether it is authentic?

I took my large sawfish to Detlev Niemann (in the grouping in the next post) when I visited him in Hamburg in 2005 to try to get a COE. Detlev said that he could not offer an opinion...

Perhaps I was too hasty in suggesting that your badge is not genuine. It very well could be. As you have pointed out, a number of other boats including U-564 (Suhren) also used the same design. I haven't seen any others with a separate "3x" attachment, but it could have been done. I retract my opinion
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ekrogh; 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Here are most of the rest of my traditions badges.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ekrogh View Post
                    Hello Peter. Back home now so I'm showing what I believe is a good U-48 traditions badge. The picture shows Teddy Suhren, Heinrich Bleichrodt, and Erich Zürn, apparently before Suhren and Zürn were awarded their own RKs, in front of the tower. The contents inside of the frame look vintage, but I don't have provenance. So, who knows for sure whether it is authentic?

I took my large sawfish to Detlev Niemann (in the grouping in the next post) when I visited him in Hamburg in 2005 to try to get a COE. Detlev said that he could not offer an opinion...

Perhaps I was too hasty in suggesting that your badge is not genuine. It very well could be. As you have pointed out, a number of other boats including U-564 (Suhren) also used the same design. I haven't seen any others with a separate "3x" attachment, but it could have been done. I retract my opinion
                    Hi Erik...thanks for getting back. Of course there's no way of knowing whether it's an original piece or something that's been cobbled together in someones workshop. The only way to come close to authenticating it would be in a period photograph.

Still it only cost me £30. if it's genuine I've had a result, if not it's still a nice display piece.
                    So I suppose these emblems were made on the U-Boats and eventually in commercial workshops.
                    Fantastic collection BTW...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyC View Post

Andy
                      Yes, it could and it could also have been done today. That´s what makes it so hard to determine.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X