Thoughts on unmarked U-Boat badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on unmarked U-Boat badge

Not to sure how i feel about this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Nick

I don't know its original or not, a not often seen variant for sure.
    Here is an old thread about this type of badge:
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=fake+u-boat

Maybe the experts can tell you some news about this one.

Comment

Hi Nick,

It's funny how these discussions come in clusters. In addition to the thread mentioned by János, we were just discussing these badges recently in these two threads:
      u-boot badge
      Deschler versus Deumer U-boat badges.

There's nothing to link them to Deschler other than the one feature of the Deschler-like pin shape, and there are other production features that suggest the unknown "flatback" maker. The first impression they give is "fake" due to the softness of the detail, but really nothing else is known about these at this time - late wartime, early post-war "souvenirs", late post-war fakes - they remain a mystery. And probably hard to sell as a result...

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Hmmmmm, the eagle is very generic , F.O , werstein, to list a couple. Going off those pictures it does has a very similiar finish to werstein. I am not however saying it is one of those. This would be one that would need to be in hand. It does nt cry fake, but would need much closer inspection. All the best

Comment

Hi Gary,

Good observation of the similarity to E. Ferdinand Wiedmann (which is what I assumed you meant by Wernstein.) The Wiedmann indeed is the closest match for obverse design right down to the leaf veining, and although not identical, you can make a good case for the two production dies coming from the same maker's master die. (Or a line of copies based on Wiedemann, depending on how you look at it.)

This Wiedmann without the pin gives a could look at the trimming margins and obverse design to note the small differences from the mystery "Deschler-pin" U-boats.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Norm yes that is what I meant, my spelling is getting terrible these days, but at the mo I have a bit on my plate to care about my spelling. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X