Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWL U-Boat Badge Real or Fake?

Hello,

I was very disappointed earlier to find out that my High Seas Fleet Badge was a fake. It has taken me a few hours to get over the shock it as I had invested alot of money in the Kriegsmarine badges that I bought and I also thought I was buying from an experienced militaria dealer.

However I have prepared my self for the worst and will put up the photos in the forum of the remaing badges.

The list of the medals that I have is as follows and will be put up in separate threads.

01. High Seas Fleet Badge maker marked RS&S
    02. U-Boat badge maker marked FO
    03. U-Boat badge maker marked GWL
    04. Mines Sweeper badge

There are two more badges on the way to me by post which I shall receive next week some time.

Thanks again for taking time to read and I hope others will learn from my mistake as I sure have.

The deck gun looks a little strange but believe this one is good. Let's see what the other guys think.

Comment

I guess what we are seeing is a great variety of hand finished examples of this badge.

It does not look the modern fake made to look old I think.

GWL has become tricky, but this one is probably period IMO.

John

Comment

going off those pitures, looks good to me

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
          going off those pitures, looks good to me
          I like the look of this one myself Gary.
          The GWL badge has been reproduced, but going off of the reverse set up, the overal outlines and the wear pattern i think this is a good one.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

I'd have to see more close-up pictures to be sure, but I'm not crazy about the badge. Details on the deck gun are strangely smooth, and the reverse outlines aren't as crisp as I would expect. Also...isn't that pin too fat? And shouldn't there be a "bend" mark on the pin?

As said before it doesn't look like a common fake, but it isn't a great textbook example, either. I'd pass for now.
            Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Nice collection you have Lorenzo. Have some more photo that you asked for, hope it will help.

Comment

Based on a close look with a side by side comparison with an original, I think this is also a fake. Like I said, it is a tricky badge and you are forced to do comparisons to try to determine if it is period or not.

Note differences in the claws of the eagle, the shape of the eagle's head among other things.

I recommend you take it back with the others.

John
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John R.; 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X