MInesweeper Badge by Placzek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MInesweeper Badge by Placzek

This example is from an estate Im working, has great characteristics but almost too nice to be true, seems to match others on the threads even with the spotting on the back of wreath, Opinions?
    Attached Files

Minesweeper

Better shots hopefully
    Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 09-14-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve,

That pin looks awfully odd

cheers
      Peter

Comment

Minesweeper

Its the "too good to be true" not a very tapered pin, and has a very metallic feel to it not plated. Weighs in at 26.9 grams or .94 oz
        Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Minesweeper

Heres better photos with a tripod and a beer,,,everythings better with beer!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve,

I think it's an excellent reproduction. If you look at the alignment of the two lines of the maker mark with respect to one another, you'll see that it's off and in fact matches the "Cave Creek special" shown in Mike Kenny's reference thread. Aside from the wrong-shaped pin you can also see the shape of the hinge-block is also not quite right compared to an original.

The aging/distressing is well done but the finish of the reverse isn't quite right. I think this would fool a lot of people. But if you go on drinking beer eventually it'll look just fine!

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Badge

Nope I depend on you badge guys, must follow your advice!

Comment

Here's an original for comparison. Look at the "S" in Schwerin under the "O" in Otto and compare to that to your badge.

Cheers.
                ---Norm
                Attached Files

Comment

Minesweeper

Im in total agreement, it doesnt feel right in hand either and there is an obvious tilt in the maker mark, plus this one came with letter of authenticity from N & T Global Trading which made me lean toward repro based on his reputation.

Comment

Looks like one of the Cave Creek Specials with a different main pin (a note to the fakers, the revised pin actually looks WORSE than your earlier attempts!).

Regards
                    Mike
                    Regards
                    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I also have a question about this badge, and after looking at some threads and studying Mike Kenny's one on repo's I'm still at a loss... If it wasn't in such good condition I would be less hesitant & the lack of eagle details is a bugger as well.

Thoughts on this second one? (I thought it fit here nicely instead of starting another thread!)

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
                        I also have a question about this badge, and after looking at some threads and studying Mike Kenny's one on repo's I'm still at a loss... If it wasn't in such good condition I would be less hesitant & the lack of eagle details is a bugger as well.

Thoughts on this second one? (I thought it fit here nicely instead of starting another thread!)
                        Hi joshlichty,

It looks like a real beauty. Definitely an original. The only problem is the quality of the photos which seem a little bright and washed out which makes is hard to definitively judge the obverse finish. It's probably a mint badge, but I'd like to see better photos (or in hand of course) to be positive.

Best regards,
                        ---Norm

(uploading your photos from the host server)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          Hi joshlichty,

It looks like a real beauty. Definitely an original. The only problem is the quality of the photos which seem a little bright and washed out which makes is hard to definitively judge the obverse finish. It's probably a mint badge, but I'd like to see better photos (or in hand of course) to be positive.

Best regards,
                          ---Norm

(uploading your photos from the host server)
                          Hi,

Funny, I didn't realise this was an old thread being resurrected - it was nice to know I haven't changed my mind about the first badge in the last couple of years!

Re the last example posted, I agree 100% with Norm re authenticity, pic quality and the resulting question over the obverse finish.

Regards
                          Mike
                          Regards
                          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X