Protecting A Mint Sub Badge ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting A Mint Sub Badge ???

This is a general question and would pertain to all badges, but since I have a "Mint" sub badges I'll ask the question here. To protect the "Mint " finish on the badge would keeping it a small plastic bag help or hurt the finish ???

Would Saran Warp be a better choice ? I would like to display it along with other badges and fear that in time it will do what some of the other badges done and that's lose the luster. Any ideas and input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any input. mooseran

do some research in the conservation/safe keeping section

Bob

Comment

Hi,

there are several things you should watch out for:

-no sunlight, more sunlight more oxidation(organic chem)
      -no high humidity in the room you store your badges in
      -donĀ“t touch your pieces excessively, skin acid and salts harm your badges
      -if you store them in plastic boxes, make sure there are no chemic softeners in the plastic. They harm badges and coins. You can get softener free boxes from coin dealers.
      -if you apply oils etc. on your badges, make sure the are acid free oils(like WD40 etc.)

I apply a thin layer of vaseline on my badges after I neutralized them with distilled water and a mild soap. I have not observed any discoloring on my badges, and they have a fine protective layer on them.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Mint badges

Hello,

I have kept mint badges in a riker mount in a saefty deposit box for over 30 years. I live in AZ and temp is not a problem either.

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X