Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin blockade breaker opinions.

Hi Folks.
    I would like to ask your opinions on this blockade breaker please.
    The guy I bought if off was convinced it was made without the swastika but to me it looked like a pretty good Schwerin which has sadly been de nazified.
    Do you think it's an original piece ?
    Thanks.
    Ian
    Attached Files

Schwerin blockade breaker opinions.

Close ups.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ian,

yes it is original, and the denazification was done by a real master!

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Hi Daniel
        Thanks for the confirmation, that's good news.
        The swaz has been neatly removed, maybe the original owner must still have had a lot of pride and wanted to show off his award even without the banned symbol.
        I too still think it looks a neat badge and as I got it fairly cheaply I'm very pleased.
        Regards
        Ian

Comment

Blockade Breaker

Hello,
          Yes, it is de-nazified-but they did a nice job. The used part of the swastika to carve out the upper part of the bow of the ship.

Regards,
          Jody

Comment

Beautiful badge!

Here's my example, also with a great denaz job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmark View Post
              Hi Ian,

yes it is original, and the denazification was done by a real master!

Regards,

Daniel
              I agree,an excellent job and this is an original tombak Schwerin.

Cheers,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jody View Post
                Hello,
                Yes, it is de-nazified-but they did a nice job. The used part of the swastika to carve out the upper part of the bow of the ship.

Regards,
                Jody
                Yes I See what you mean Jody.
                The owner must have been either a skillfull engineer or he had it professionally done. Whoever it was made a reasonably tidy job trying to keep the detail correct.

Comment

Hi Jon-Olav
                  That's another great de nazified BB you have ,they are nearly twins .
                  I wonder if some people hacked the swaz off with a chisel out of hatred and some had their awards neatly adjusted as they were still proud of their achievements as an ordinary mariner who had done their job.
                  Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IGGY View Post
                    I wonder if some people hacked the swaz off with a chisel out of hatred and some had their awards neatly adjusted as they were still proud of their achievements as an ordinary mariner who had done their job.
                    IMO the rough denazifications were probably not done by the actual recipient. More likely a third party somewhere down the line.

If a vet really hated his time in the TR he would probably just have thrown the award out if anything....not defaced it badly.

clean denaz jobs were probably done by the vet in a POW situation or as a part of post war german nazi paranoia where people thought having anything with a swastika would get them in trouble with the allied occupiers.

then of course there are the vets who denaz their awards cleanly for wear in the bundswehr.

Its an interesting sphere of collecting

Comment

Hi DaveNZ
                      I'd never really thought too much about de nazzed badges until I picked this one up.
                      What you have said makes sense especially the POW situation ,and I agree it makes another interesting aspect to the hobby.

thanks
                      Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                      X