Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

something came out of the box and need some opinions on it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something came out of the box and need some opinions on it...

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I picked up a little box and it had a Coastal Artillery badge in it. I could reall use some opinions on this one as I am not into KM badges.

Is it ok? Can we put a maker to this unmarked badge?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Box side web.jpg

Box half open web.jpg

[ATTACH]1571704[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1571705[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1571706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1571707[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1571708[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1571709[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looks like a unmarked B&NL or Steinhauer & Luck. The box is also good but I would expect to have a FLL marked badge in it.

Comment

Hi Bob,

I agree with René that it's a late war, zinc Steinhauer & Lück, Lüdenscheid-made badge. These are always unmarked, and as far as I know there has been only a single example ever to turn up stamped with a B&NL (Berge & Nolte, Lüdenscheid) marking, the significance of which is unknown.

Best regards,
            ---Norm

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. An unmarked S&L it is.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by kale010 View Post
                Thanks for the replies guys. An unmarked S&L it is.

Bob
                Nice pickup!

William Kramer
                Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Is that the start of zinc pest on the badge?

If so act fast

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
                    Is that the start of zinc pest on the badge?

If so act fast
                    As I am unaware how zinc pest looks like, I don't know... Is it?

Looking on the internet. Zinc pest should look different..??

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by kale010 View Post
                      As I am unaware how zinc pest looks like, I don't know... Is it?

Looking on the internet. Zinc pest should look different..??

Bob
                      I wondered the same thing, and it could be early zinc pest, but I think it might just be odd-coloured remnants of the poor quality finish that is mostly gone.

I've seen several posted examples of these late-production S&Ls with the odd finish residue looking just like this one, including one on a Lüdenscheid sample board presumed from the immediate post-war period. There will always be some degree of controversy regarding these late S&L zinc badges as to whether they were all wartime produced or some assembled post-war for the "after-market". It's impossible to separate them out without provenance.

Best regards,
                      ---Norm

Comment

Hello again,

In concern to the zinc-pest, better safe than sorry. In my opinion, after the badge sits and the Vaseline is removed they always appear more dynamic to me in the light anyhow. I don't really know how to describe it, but I like the way a badge looks after the process.

William Kramer
                        Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                          There will always be some degree of controversy .................. to whether they were all wartime produced or some assembled post-war for the "after-market".
                          Yup, indeed it will be.

Originally posted by all1knew View Post
                          In concern to the zinc-pest, better safe than sorry. In my opinion, after the badge sits and the Vaseline is removed they always appear more dynamic to me in the light anyhow. I don't really know how to describe it, but I like the way a badge looks after the process.
                          I've read a couple of threads regarding zinc pest and how to deal with it, but there are some very different opinions. So I don't know for sure if Petrolium jelly is the definitive answer to zinc pest.

As for this badge. I don''t think it's zinc pest.

Regards
                          Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                          X