Schwerin 2nd Pattern S-Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin 2nd Pattern S-Boat

This the first S-Boat badge I have bought. Measures 59.9 mm in height and 52.6 mm in width and 33.1 grams which is in line with those parameters given in Gentry and Jody's S-Boat article in International Medal Collector.

The photos are not the clearest but I may some more in better light tomorrow. Seems to have the characterists this type of Schwerin should have such as the maker mark font and the Swastika and flag cut outs. Lots of silver finish still on the back and I am not sure how common that part is.

Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files

More photos
    Attached Files

Comment

a couple more...
      Attached Files

Comment

refinished

Hi
        If the badge is a good one it has been heavily tampered with. Refinished from bow to stern. repainted with some kind of bondo on the reverse. See what others have to say.

Steve

Comment

I am not getting a nice initial feeling about this badge. As Steve said, IF it is real it has been very heavily messed with. The texture and finish of the surface, both obverse and, much more obviously, reverse, is just wrong, as though it has had something just "slopped" over it. Look at the ribbon binding of the wreath on the obverse and the pitting on the hull.

I have learned, however, that photos can be extremely deceptive. Hope you can get better ones tomorrow. There are some things, including the curvature and crimping on the catch, and the shaping of letters in the mark, which give me some hope that this may be just a damaged or corroded original, carelessly re-finished.

Comment

S-boot

Hello,
            From the photos the badge may be good, but I agree 100% with Steve and Gentry. This badge has been heavily messed with and appears to be refinished. I would also like to see better pictures tomorrow.

You can see how details have been painted over or worn off by a heavy cleaning, etc. The bottom part of the maker mark even looks like it was sanded or ground off. Look how wavy the back is; is that from paint? There even appears to be huge chunks or flakes missing from the front of the ship.

If this is a badge for sale I would pass on it and get one with no issues.

Regards,
            Jody

Comment

i agree with the boys .some person resembling male genitalia has used rub&buff on this badge. no dangar.if you would like me to put the badge right for you.please pm me
              Last edited by John R.; 07-24-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

More Photos

Here are some more photos of the S-Boat.

If it has been touched up than that is one thing...I am more interested in making sure it is an original piece.

All opinions welcome.
                Attached Files

Comment

A few more...
                  Attached Files

Comment

One More...
                    Attached Files

Comment

My best guess, based solely on the measurements and what I think I can see below all the "goop" on top: An original, heavily corroded badge.

Comment

S-boot

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                        My best guess, based solely on the measurements and what I think I can see below all the "goop" on top: An original, heavily corroded badge.

Hello,
                        I agree, an original but heavily corroded badge that has been messed with.

Regards,
                        Jody

Comment

Agree original, if you got it cheap then probably not a bad buy. You might be suprised at the condition of the badge once you get all that crap off.
                          Regards, Rob
                          Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

from this.to this
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X