fair price please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fair price please

hi. what would be a fair price for this badge thank you.pin replaced.solder removed from the back. allso chrome taken of the badge. the vet did it not me
    Attached Files

Did you use that Chrome Stripper

Andy

Comment

Wow, that alkali was so caustic it ate into the base metal on the reverse and removed the bottom half of the maker mark.

Also, it looks like there is indeed some chrome on the eagle's chest. I suspect this badge has been stripped, then chromed and then de-chromed! Poor thing...
      Amazingly, it looks like a little bit of the original golden undercoating used on these "AS in triangle" S-boats is still seen clinging valiantly to the reverse.

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to value, but I would think not much given its sad condition, unless of course it came with an iron-clad and historically interesting provenance.

Best regards,
      ---Norm
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Norm F; 07-22-2010, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
        Amazingly, it looks like a little bit of the original golden undercoating used on these "AS in triangle" S-boats is still seen clinging valiantly to the reverse.
        Best regards,
        ---Norm
        Hehe Norm

Incredible there's still a badge left at all. Value, well.....

Comment

, as for price that really is down to the buyer and what they are prepared to pay, in my opinion even in that condition it may sell but no where the price if in a fair condition. All the best

Comment

I'd kick in $5 towards a decent burial with a few nice words thrown in by a padre.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

S-boot

Hi Jimmy,
              I am afraid that the badge would not bring a lot of money in the state it is in. I would think around $60 or so (maybe). That is one maker were many nice examples can be found (of course for a lot more money). That being said, too much detail is lost on the badge (especially the maker mark).

Most of the collector value is gone. I bet that badge was really nice too, before the idiot chromed it. That badge appears to be the flat-back example.

Regards,
              Jody
              Last edited by Jody; 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Jimmy,

If you don't go Don's route try listing it at $75.00 as a filler. Hey, at least it is real, but severely messed with.

William Kramer
                Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Better yet, list it as "Near mint except for......" and go for a near mint price.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
                    Wow, that alkali was so caustic it ate into the base metal on the reverse and removed the bottom half of the maker mark.

Also, it looks like there is indeed some chrome on the eagle's chest. I suspect this badge has been stripped, then chromed and then de-chromed! Poor thing...

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to value, but I would think not much given its sad condition, unless of course it came with an iron-clad and historically interesting provenance.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    that was not the chrome striper.the vet did this to
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jimmy,

Interesting! In that case, that was quite a well-done (if rather mis-leading) restoration job.

But what are the goldy flakes on the "after" picture that aren't seen on the "before" picture?

So stripped, chromed, hardware devastated, then de-chromed and hardware restored?

Cheers.
                      ---Norm
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wh014d4394 View Post
                        that was not the chrome striper.the vet did this to
                        this pic.came from the saller.not mine as you can see.it looks like theres pleanty of finish left on there pic??

Comment

These "AS in triangle" badges originally were coated in a coppery layer prior to the gilding and finishing being applied.

There's actually no finish remaining on this badge -- all the gilding/silvering/oxidized finish is gone as is the coppery undercoating. All that seems to remain is a bit of somebody's unfortunate chrome plating that wasn't removed from the eagle's chest with the attempted rehabilitation, in my opinion. On the pre-restoration photo of the reverse you can still see some remaining original coppery undercoat at the upper area and even some of the original blackened finish on the lower right, but most of all that was removed by the "restoration" and is gone in the photo with the repaired hardware.

Check out this thread to see Jody's magnificent mint example and Nena's example which nicely shows the normal wear pattern in the finish that exposed first the coppery-coloured layed before getting down to the raw zinc.

Cheers.
                          ---Norm
                          Last edited by Norm F; 07-22-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                            I'd kick in $5 towards a decent burial with a few nice words thrown in by a padre.

Comment

thank you all.please pm me. with all your damaged eboat badges.at 5 to 75 dollers i will buy them all. thank you jimmy.the first 10 i get . i will post them all here

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X