Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U boot help need

Hello everyone

I'm unsure on this badge, I have never held one in hand before. The pin set up on the back makes me worry and the eagles head. Could anyone please give me any pointers on this one.

Cheers Adam

021.JPG

022.JPG

[ATTACH]1556899[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1556900[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1556901[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1556902[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1556903[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1556904[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1556905[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi Adam,

That's a period U-boat zinc badge and quite interesting I think. Until recently this zinc design has been attributed to Wächtler & Lange, or Klein & Quenzer, based upon the very few examples bearing their PK numbers stamped into the broad pin usually seen on this type. The vast majority however are unmarked.

However we now know that Steinhauer & Lück (S&L) also used this design, as evidenced by 3 different examples of Lüdenscheid sample boards displaying the S&L KM badges surounding this type of zinc U-boat. Attached here is the example from eMedals website from when it sold the contents of one of these boards.

Furthermore there are tombak examples of this design that use hardware typical to marked S&L badges like in this thread.

Here attached is also a zinc example from Flanders Militaria that is from the same die as the tombak examples but has the same catch as seen on your zincer. This catch was used by, amongst others, S&L and Deumer in Lüdenscheid, but has never been seen on a marked W&L or K&Q.

Your badge has a hinge and pin suggestive of Deumer; the pictures are a bit fuzzy and correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be a bit more solder around the hinge block than usual and I'm wondering if it's a period replacement? At any rate, I believe your badge to be of Lüdenscheid manufacture.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
              Hi Adam,

That's a period U-boat zinc badge and quite interesting I think. Until recently this zinc design has been attributed to Wächtler & Lange, or Klein & Quenzer, based upon the very few examples bearing their PK numbers stamped into the broad pin usually seen on this type. The vast majority however are unmarked.

However we now know that Steinhauer & Lück (S&L) also used this design, as evidenced by 3 different examples of Lüdenscheid sample boards displaying the S&L KM badges surounding this type of zinc U-boat. Attached here is the example from eMedals website from when it sold the contents of one of these boards.

Furthermore there are tombak examples of this design that use hardware typical to marked S&L badges like in this thread.

Here attached is also a zinc example from Flanders Militaria that is from the same die as the tombak examples but has the same catch as seen on your zincer. This catch was used by, amongst others, S&L and Deumer in Lüdenscheid, but has never been seen on a marked W&L or K&Q.

Your badge has a hinge and pin suggestive of Deumer; the pictures are a bit fuzzy and correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be a bit more solder around the hinge block than usual and I'm wondering if it's a period replacement? At any rate, I believe your badge to be of Lüdenscheid manufacture.

Best regards,
              ---Norm

Norm,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such an in depth insight. You have answered all the questions I had in great detail. There isn't a bit more solder around the hinge block, it just looks like there is because of my terrible photographic skills

Thanks again for your help, I can use it to start a build some knowledge on u boat badges

All the Best Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X