regards,
    T
    Attached Files

more pics:
    Attached Files

Comment

U-boat

Hello T,
      Nice badge, it is the so-called Juncker pattern. This is the type with round wire catch and not the flat 'C' white metal catch.

Regards,
      Jody

Comment

thanks Jody, is it ok that U-boat badges with Junckers pattern weights a lot in comparison of other makers?

mine weights 29 gram.

T

Comment

I can only agree with Jody, a nice original u-boat badge. Your example is made from brass and would account for the heavier weight. Zinc badges usually run in the 18-19 grams, and the brass ones in the area of 25-30 grams IMO.

Tom
          If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

T, you have an exceptional example of this badge with most of the gilding still intact, fairly rare for this badge where normally you see it with a more flat bronze appearance.

If you are worried it is a fake, it is not. It is a beautiful badge with one of the best designs produced.

It is a tombak badge, and in this case with a high brass content accounting for the weight. The weights of these badges are all over the place going from Hymenn and Juncker to less weight with other tombak examples and the much lighter in comparison zinc examples.

John

Comment

U-boat badge

Hi T,
              Well Tom and John summed up the weight issue. As they said, tombac will weigh more than zinc.

You have a beautiful early badge.

Regards,
              Jody

Comment

thanks for the replies,

good evening,
                T

Comment

One I would love to find one day! Congrats!
                  Kind regards,
                  Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

More typical of the finish of this badge 70 years later. Not quite as nice as yours. I say this without any attempt to hurt the feelings of the current owner of this badge--me.

It was part of an attributed group, here is the Iron Cross that went with it which I like in spite of the condition based on the history of the U-boat sailor.

John
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by John R.; 06-27-2010, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Ok guys, I will sell this badge this weekend so keep an eye on the e-stand when you are interested.

regards,
                      T

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X