Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin e-boat 2nd pattern

Hello Gentlemen
    Can you give me your IMOs on this badge please.
    Thank you
    Michaelhttp://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/fusion/attach/jpg.gifhttp://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1512745&stc=1&d=127423 4205
    Attached Files

Hi Michael,

IMO,the badge looks good and if that obverse guilding is original to the badge,then i would rate this one as probably one of the nicest looking 2nd pattern Schwerin S-Boat awards i have seen.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

agree

I for one would have to echo Martin on his call on this piece!That is a great finish on a Schwerin 2nd pattern and it looks good.

Nice one
      Steve Mezey

Comment

Amen to that! Stunning badge, if only mine was in such nice condition!

Comment

Hi,

Imo it's definitely an original badge but I have concerns over the finish, mainly because on the reverse where it appears the gold finish has spilled over (typical for Schwerins) the finish in those areas appears to be GREY, not gold. From what I can see of the edges, there also appears to be gold finish there. Without intending to rain on Michael's day, I'd really be looking at the finish on this one very carefully.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            Hi,

Imo it's definitely an original badge but I have concerns over the finish, mainly because on the reverse where it appears the gold finish has spilled over (typical for Schwerins) the finish in those areas appears to be GREY, not gold. From what I can see of the edges, there also appears to be gold finish there. Without intending to rain on Michael's day, I'd really be looking at the finish on this one very carefully.

Regards
            Mike
            Nice badge but agree with mike unfortunately.

Just to expand a little, it is extremely rare to find these badges with the original gold finish intact. In most cases you find partial remains or that the finish is complete but faded to the silver/grey colour. Any 2nd pattern Schwerin e-boat with a strong gold finish like this needs to be looked at carefully.

The first thing to look for is for the condition of the gold finish to match up in three areas (wreath, reverse overspill and bottom of boat). Any silver/grey finish in either the reverse overspill or bottom of boat should immediately throw up red flags, as in the case of this badge.

Some photos of badges with original finish for comparison.
            Attached Files
            Regards, Rob
            Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Now one with partial finish
              Attached Files
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

I'll post mine again, I'm fairly sure the wreath colour is the originally applied finish yet on the back where I would expect to see the overspill it looks grey or black? Is it possible this badge has been refinished? Was a seperate colour applied to the back and has this caused the gold to react differently over time?
                Also, is it possible that the edges of Michael's badge look gold but the overspill has had the colour washed out by the flash effect?
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen,I have asked for extra photos, and I have my fingers crossed that its the camera flash making the grey area.
                  I will get back to you on this.
                  Regards
                  Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X