Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin Uboat Badge

Hi Guys,

I’m considering buying this from the estate of an old friend but wanted to make sure it looked okay.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

<o></o>

And the maker’s mark.

<o></o>

Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Well....

Mine has a slight dip under the deck gun, the eagle's left foot doesn't go as far down on the swaz, and the maker mark is different. Also, the wreath seems to meet the eagle's left wing at a higher place.
    Last edited by George Stimson; 01-28-2004, 10:39 PM.
    George

Comment

Front.
      Attached Files
      George

Comment

Back.
        Attached Files
        George

Comment

George, I brought an old post up on this earlier this week. Gordon chimed in and said that Schwerin used several different maker's marks and pin assemblies. The area under the deck gun on your badge looks to have had some hand enhancement that the one I posted didn't. As far as the eagle's foot, well, that's why I want some opinions.
          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

The differences in the eagles' feet could also be due to different hand enhancement.
            George

Comment

On balance the badge looks OK from the front photo, from the rear does the hinge pin head have cross hatching on it?

The catch is not what I would normally expect but that does not say it is wrong.

Interesting to hear what others think

Regards
              Rob
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Snigley,

I can't see anything wrong with it. The reverse setup on the Schwerins can vary from one badge to another.

Here is mine to compare it with. You will see that the hinge and pin are identical but that the catch is a little smaller and attached almost without the use of visible solder. I suppose the catch on yours isn't sitting on a catchplate but in a little pile of solder.

KR
                Philippe
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, I'll add my .02 worth

Snigley,

I can only add to the comments already mentioned. That is not to say the piece is bad, but I do see minor differences from mine and have listed some of the things that stood out and posed questions for me.

The first thing I noticed was the color of the gilding. Every Schwerin (tombak) piece I've seen is really bright gold in color. It may be the PICS you provided, but the color is off IMO. I do see where some of the firegilding has worn (flaked?) off a bit and think that's normal, so okay there.

The second and most noticable item of concern for me is the catch base. Rob and Philippe have commented on it as well, and in your photo, the badge appears to have an oval catch plate under the round wire "C" catch. As you can see in mine below and compared to others I have seen, this is different and I would question it.

George mentioned that the maker's mark was different from his piece and though I can't really see his that good, your badge's mark is different from mine as well. You can see the difference in the letters, but the number "6" is very different with yours more rounded and mine more square in appearance. Not to say that the stamps weren't changed or modified at some point, just that the marks are different.

Now, keeping in mind that there were different catch styles used and no real determination of which one preceded the other, it's entirely possible that the mark is good and that the catch is just another variant as well. IMO, you should try to compare your badge with other ones that utilize the round wire style vice the flat wire style as the catch base area should be more similar if my logic is sound here. As Rob stated, the front looks pretty good to me too, other than color, and nothing stood out as bad or wrong from that side to me. In fact, I can see minor die characteristics that appear identical in the wreath to my badge.

Hope that helps!

Keep in mind that these Schwerin pieces have been heavily reproduced and the copies are incredibly good.
                  Tim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X