X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coastal Artillery mm L/56

Hi guys,

I have posted this piece to KM forum before,
    I'd like to make sure it's original or fake.
    Maybe, the pin is repaired, but I think this piece is the same as
    the one which is showed in the following thread.
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=228044&page=3
    Please let me know your opinions.

Regards,
    Dai
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Dai, I agree with you that the pin is replaced...Otherwise it looks good to me!
            Cheers, Steve
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Hi Steve, thanks!

Comment

Looks like a good original as said, these were quite a heavy award and in somecases had a slightly dropped 6. All the best

Comment

I really NOT like that one

Comment

As always I preface my comments with the statement that I'm not experienced enough for my opinion to carry much weight at this time. However, I have questions about Dai's badge and would like others' opinions.

Although it does look much like the one posted by Lorenzo in the reference thread these are my concerns:
                    1) What is this base metal? From the catch type I would have thought zinc but it doesn't look much like zinc or tombak for that matter.

2) Is anyone else concerned about the ridge seen in the upper red circle? Is this seen on proper die forged badges or is it an edge marking on a cast badge? Everywhere else the edges seem quite heavily filed to remove this edge as seen in the lower red circle. Once again, I'm not saying that I know this to be cast, I'm just asking for expert opinions on this question.

I'd like to see closeups of the inner edges on oblique views to look for sheer markings on a die forged badge, not to be confused with the hand-filing marks.

Best regards,
                    ---Norm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Like Norm, I am not prepared to say this badge is fake or real. However, I do have some points I have noted:

1) The strike looks good and it has all of the correct design features of an "L/56";

2) I question the base metal. It should be zinc but has a non-zinc appearance;

3) The front of the badge shows some wear, but the gold finish on the wreath looks intact. Possibly refinished? or maybe not zinc?;

4) As already mentioned, the pin does not look correct.

Tough call on this one.
                      Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo Brown View Post
                        Like Norm, I am not prepared to say this badge is fake or real. However, I do have some points I have noted:

1) The strike looks good and it has all of the correct design features of an "L/56";

2) I question the base metal. It should be zinc but has a non-zinc appearance;

3) The front of the badge shows some wear, but the gold finish on the wreath looks intact. Possibly refinished? or maybe not zinc?;

4) As already mentioned, the pin does not look correct.

Tough call on this one.
                        Well, if we accept that this is a die-struck badge, as I'm prepared to accept given Lorenzo's opinion and also some of the edge shots suggesting sheer marks, then do any fakers actually use this method of production? For example, does the infamous Staegemeier?
                        We're left with the odd colour of the base metal to contend with (assuming the pin is a replacement).
                        Best regards,
                        ---Norm

Comment

Hi guys for me the front looks good, the L/56 mark shows signs that I tend to look for, although I do prefer the dropped 6, the look of the metal I put down to the flash maybe wrongly, the inside Rim however appears zinc to me. Hands on in spection would be better to make a definate call on this one. Wish I had kept photos of the one I had. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X