Unusual Destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank & Richard,

Appreciate your comments and no worries from me as I'm still learning as well. I would rather hear bad or questionable news than somebody not saying anything at all.

I would like to say this though, as far as I'm concerned the verdict is still out on this envelope, as there seems to be so many little differences on everything from badges, cases, envelopes, etc., that I begin to wonder if anybody really knows beyond resonable doubt. Reference books and so-called experts still get things wrong from time to time and I honestly believe we have not seen all the originals there are or ever were manufactured.

I have been told certain badges were never made by certain manufactures only to pass on badges then to see a year later similar badges being offered for sale and nobody even questions the piece. Deumer Observer badges are just one case in point.

Now, I understand there are a lot of fake envelopes out there and the Kriegsmarine is abundant with them, so who knows for sure. With envelopes varying from blue to brown to light tan.... Maybe when I see a couple dozen others to compare mine to, then I'll take the consenus opinion, until then, I'll hold on to it.

Again, thanks for responding and I hope you decide to keep your badge Frank, as you have said there isn't much money tied up in it at this point. Who knows? Take care,
    Tim

Comment

Tim, glad to see you are taking things with a grain of salt. I am by no means an expert and I wouldn't rely on my opinion myself regarding Kriegsmarine badges. It just seemed unusual (never actually even noticed the observation that Frank made regarding the dash) since the Germans were pretty exacting and any misspellings usually are pretty universally known. Though many errors occured in lots of things, spelling was a rare one. Does the envelope glow under black light? That would certainly not be definitive either, but it would certainly be one more step towards authentication of the envelope.
      Richard V

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X