X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat badge help

Hello Guys,
    What are your opinions of this one?
    I really can't get pics of the back due to it is sewn on a KM leather Jacket.
    There is some very minor gilt finish left on the pin.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Gary
    Attached Files

Doing a search, and the back looks like the maker K&Q....But i could be wrong.

Comment

Trying to get a pic of the back as suggested, i just don't want to try to take it off the metal loop that is sewn into the KM leather.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure what this one is (for now). It does not look like a K and Q to me though. However, from the front, it looks period.

Without a reverse shot, we need a good match for the obverse, perhaps somebody has that in their records.

I will keep researching it. John

Comment

John,

i have looked through my records and unfortunately i do not have any images of this type of badge.
          However,i have seen this type of award before with the "large" head to the eagle and it has been discussed?
          IMO it is an original zinc badge,but the maker remains unknown to me.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Thanks John and Martin for trying
            I just don't want to take the chance of breaking it off the metal loop sewn on the jacket, i hope you can understand.
            The jacket itself has the embossed eagle over the M for Kriegsmarine as you all know.
            Infact, here it is...the jacket
            Regards,
            Gary
            Attached Files

Comment

No reason to take the eagle off the jacket Gary if we can't identify the front--the front of the badge is quite distinctive so if we had it in our files we should be able to find it.

However, as you know, there were many U-boat badges in zinc that are unmarked and unknown but still period.

This one looks period.

I would not remove it from the jacket.

John

Comment

Gary, Gordon Williamson took a look at the badge and agrees it is period, but unknown maker. Could you post images of any stamps inside or makers labels?

John

Comment

Hi John,
                  Thanks for your time and patience.
                  I carefully removed the badge without breaking the catch or the other metal loop holding the medal on, the other metal loop shown, the stitching was already snapped.
                  But hope these help, i couldn't see any makers mark.
                  Thanks Guys for your help.
                  Regards,
                  Gary
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

with pin closed
                      Attached Files

Comment

last one with hinge.
                        Thanks Again..
                        Attached Files

Comment

I like it and it looks period, but I wonder why one would attach it to foul weather gear? It doesn't seem practical.

Comment

Black would have been very early war as this was not the favorite color for leather jackets in the U-boat arm for long. Grey was.

We do not see many photos of black leather jackets but again, there is no reason to not think this is exactly what it is.

So, it is possible that the original hardware on the jacket itself was used for a tombak badge and later that badge was replaced by a zinc badge.

Who knows?

The entire setup looks OK to me and there were a lot of variations in U-boat uniforms as we all know.

The badge is still unknown but the reverse hardware looks good to me. So an original badge IMO.

I would put it all back together as soon as possible. Glad the catch did not break when you removed it so be careful when you reattach it.

Does this belong to you Gary?

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnpahl View Post
                              I like it and it looks period, but I wonder why one would attach it to foul weather gear? It doesn't seem practical.
                              You have a good point, however, maybe you answered your own question since the owner of the jacket made sure that the badge was not going to be going anyplace easily.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X