Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bnz41 View Post
    Interesting!

Without a doubt the Bismarck-class mathces the design far better than the Scharnhorst-class.

However, the three barrel guns is a dead give away!
    I wonder if they thought it better not to depict a specific ship because of the PR effect if that ship were sunk? Similar to changing the name of the Panzerschiff Deutschland to Lützow in case "Germany" was sunk?
    Hence a depiction of a stylized battleship with features of both classes. Pretty fortunate since the Bismarck was sunk four weeks after the badge was instituted!
    Best regards,
    ---Norm

Comment

Norm, I love your pics there mate! and good thoughts on the rationale for the use of ships in the design. Superb!
      Cheers, Steve
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Thanks Steve,
        But now that I look more closely, the view angle makes all the difference.
        In this shot of the Gneisenau, you can start to see how the features match the badge much better than the Bismarck, despite how cool the composite photo with Bismarck looked.
        But I still think the the bow of the hull on the badge is a closer match to the Bismarck for that one feature.
        So next the question is, are there differences between Gneisenau and Scharnhorst that make the badge more likely to be one than the other?
        Cheers.
        ---Norm
        Attached Files

Comment

Scharnhorst on top (before the 1939 bow modifications) and Gneisenau on bottom (after the 1939 bow modifications). No way to tell the difference between them I'd say. I guess they were practically inseparable siblings anyway, and there's no way to choose between your children!
          So shall we conclude the HSF badge design is based on the Scharnhorst-class battleship but with a Bismarck-style bow?
          Regards,
          ---Norm
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Norm F View Post
            Scharnhorst on top (before the 1939 bow modifications) and Gneisenau on bottom (after the 1939 bow modifications). No way to tell the difference between them I'd say. I guess they were practically inseparable siblings anyway, and there's no way to choose between your children!
            So shall we conclude the HSF badge design is based on the Scharnhorst-class battleship but with a Bismarck-style bow?
            Regards,
            ---Norm
            It seems a reasonable conclusion to draw. In any instance a beautiful combat badge!
            Cheers, Steve
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

To me it's 'pure' Scharnhorst class
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X