X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the help IS REALLY appreciated guys
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi thanks for the comments guys but really I am no expert on these, just like you Im a collector and these are just my opinions which could well be wrong.

Hi Terry, have to say not the best of pics so it is hard to go off, In my opinion I still believe this is a fake K&Q, the hinge although very close is not accurate and a bit sloppy for a k&Q which really did have a fine hinge and pin sytem, the Hinge going off a reverse shot also appears to be sitting inside a dip you can see markings to the left of the hinge as viewing. The catch does not look to be on a circular plate looks a mishapen circle?. Other points to note are the wreath is not 100% accurate I believe this has been artifically worn down look at the thickness of the viens, the very top left of the eagle as viewing the viens look as if it has been ground down by some tool you can see the cut marks.The eagle is heavily worn yet the chest looks ok for depth. I have never seen a K&Q so worn with such a loss of detail whilst other areas look crisp this makes me believe it was done on perpose to hide. There are other things like the quality of the metal even for late war, and there are a couple of points that I do like but on the whole this one is not for me. Again this is just my opinion. All the best

Comment

Hi Terry these are some points I have mentioned

1 Looks as if a tool has been used to grind the vien down
        2 Looks like a thick continuation of the leaf not on K&Q
        3 Total loss of vien looks bloated which you would not find even with a heavily worn piece.

As I said just my opinions and observations could well be wrong. Just ask the wife
        Attached Files

Comment

Here' s mine to compare, minty I know and not like for like but look at the wreath, thickness of viens, etc for a comparison.
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse, look at the finesse of the hinge and catch, which was evident even on late war ones. The pin on yours also does not match a K&Q going off the pics.
            Attached Files

Comment

That is a beautiful example Gary. Your comments are also appreciated by everybody as is your analysis of the badge at the top of the thread.

The hinge system was quite well done on original examples as you have said.

John
              Last edited by John R.; 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Here are the other areas I have pointed out.

1 Dip mark to hinge
                2 None circular plate, not sure if the plate is really there at all?
                3 Not the expected bump to the pin there is another part of the pin in another picture that does not look right also.

As i have said these are just my opinions and simply going off the pictures provided, nothing beats a hands on inspection, sorry Terry. But remember I could be wrong All the best
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comments John, much appreciated. Now your all going to tell me Im wrong. All the best

Comment

Nope, I am learning too. Never ends.

Looks like the red stuff is paint from the can on which this badge sits!!!!

John

Comment

no John , paint has always been there, fascinating analysis Gary and very convincing ,i ve learnt a lot which is what the forum is all about , fabulous example you have there, i don t think i m up to taking great photos but if your up for it i could send you the badge and maybe you could take some pics for the forum archives , i will of course cover all postage , many thanks Terry

Comment

Agreed...learning always here!
                        Cheers, Steve
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------
                        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Gary,

thanks for taking the time for your additional input.It is much appreciated by me personally.
                          Very enlightening,and i must admit i am inclined to agree with your comments and observations.

Thanks a lot,Martin.

Comment

Hi Terry if you want to send the award to me that would be great, will get to examine it in hand and get some pictures at the same time. Will send a PM. All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X