Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this unmarked Auxiliary Cruiser Badge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of this unmarked Auxiliary Cruiser Badge ?

Hi !

You can find pictures of the badge at http://www.angelfire.com/pq/thewolf1/ACB.html
    Sorry for the ads... It's the "cost" of free web hosting. If someone wants to copy the pictures here, no problem !

I've got this unmarked Auxiliary Cruiser Badge badge from a MAX Certified Lifetime member.

It looks good, but when I compare it to others Kriegsmarine badges I own, the finnish looks more like a "painted finnish" than a fire-gilding finnish...

Is it normal ? Anything bad about this badge ? Maybe it has been repainted (if yes, what a wonderfull job ! - but what a bad news ) ?

Thanks !

Alex.

Hi Alex,

Re the badge, others know this type better than I so I'll leave authenticity comments to them.

Re the finish, it's a zinc-based badge so I wouldn't expect it to be fire-gilded. As to being refinished, that's quite possible - either that or it's mint. Check very carefully on the separately attached globe for ANY traces of gold paint - if you find any it's most likely been refinished. From the images, the obverse bottom of the globe, just left of the wreath tie, looks like it has gold ?spray? paint on it.

Regards
    Mike K

PS: welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Mike Kenny; 01-15-2004, 09:32 PM.
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K
      Check very carefully on the separately attached globe for ANY traces of gold paint - if you find any it's most likely been refinished.

From the images, the obverse bottom of the globe, just left of the wreath tie, looks like it has gold ?spray? paint on it.
      I don't see any paint on the globe. Can it be removed once installed ?

No paint or spray left of the wreath tie, but it looks like it on the picture...

Comment

Anyone have a comment about autheticity or about the finnish of the badge ?

Thanks !

Comment

I think that it's a good badge and that it was made by Foerster & Barth. I have one just like it.

George

Comment

There are also minesweepers and GAB's with this type of pin set up.
            Ed
            Attached Files

Comment

Re-Finished?

From the photo I think this might have been re-finished as one would normally expect the finish wear on the back of the badge to match the front. In this case it does not, the other two examples shown generally do.

Regards
              Rob
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hard to tell about the wear. Most allegedly Foerster & Barth KM badges actually DO have a matt grey reverse finish with just the setup finished in gold, so Alex´badge does not have to be refinished. That reverse finish might actually be "mint".

In addition to what Ed said, there are also HSF badges by Forster & Barth with that pin.

Cheers, Frank
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rhudspith
                  From the photo I think this might have been re-finished as one would normally expect the finish wear on the back of the badge to match the front. In this case it does not, the other two examples shown generally do.
                  I think it matches on both sides, but it's very difficult to say even with the badge in hand...

Comment

Does the globe part can be removed on this kind of badges ? I don't want to do it !!!

Comment

Globe part

So, can it be removed ?

Comment

I suppose if you drilled out the rivet ( ) the globe could be removed.
                        George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
                          I suppose if you drilled out the rivet ( ) the globe could be removed.
                          Good, so once it's on, it's forever... So a faker can't remove it to repaint the badge...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X