HSF High Seas Fleet UNKNOWN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSF High Seas Fleet UNKNOWN

I'm looking at this for a couple weeks and there are things I like and don't like about it.

First off, it's certainly not a maker mark that's generally accepted, BUT, that's no reason to assume it's bad.

Here is the front. Very mint, maybe too mint...
    Attached Files

Closeup, some details really crisp, some not...
    Attached Files

Comment

Closeup of eagle
      Attached Files

Comment

And here's where we come up snake eyes

I like the gently dished back, the hinge, the clasp, the top hook nicely balled at the end, the pin bent nicely, but P.M.

Is this a highend fake from India???
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brian. Well...this is a first for me. Never seen that one before. Hate to be a skeptic...but I'm gonna be one.

The gilt doesn't look like true WWII era gilt...more like a gold finish. Details are not very crisp...rather kinda soft.

Nevertheless...it IS a nice looking badge, but so are the fake RS&S HSF badges.

My guess is this is a new fake that we should be wary of.

And, Brian...as you know, the BIG QUESTION is: If this is real....WHERE ARE THE OLD WORN ONES?? This one looks FRESH outa the oven.
          Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thanks Lorenzo, I am not trying to make a silk purse out of this one. I was frankly amazed at the quality of the back of the badge. Remember those E-boat beauties from India how the back was not a gently sloping dish? This one clearly much much more clever. I too would not expect to have in my hands the one and only P.M. HSF

I'm going to ask the owner if I can test an edge of the 'gilting' with some paint remover to test the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
              I'm going to ask the owner if I can test an edge of the 'gilting' with some paint remover to test the finish.
              OK..but it may not be paint. Some of these badges have a hi-tech gold finish that is more like an electro-plate than paint. Here are scans of a popular fake that has such a hi-tech finish. It is a copy of an authentic zinc badge.
              Attached Files
              Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Formby's didn't remove it so it may be as you say another type of finish. I thought Indian examples often employed true gilt?

Here is a 2,400 bpi on the scanner to get to the metal.
                Attached Files

Comment

Brian, is that maker mark raised or indented?
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Indented, amazing how photos do that to you isn't it?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Remember the famous eboot fake with the heavy scoop.

Clipped pin hook, different application of hinge, scoop and not gently formed back indentation. If this is a fake, which is no doubt is, they are getting smarter and smarter.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X