Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Coastal badge

Hi Guys,
    Here is another little gem I just got. It came in the cellophane LDO packette. I was able to gently take it out without damaging the packette but I sure was nervous! It looks like it has a little zinkrot(?) starting. Should I put anything on it before I put it back in the pack forever? Who is the maker of this? Does anyone know?
    Best, Sal
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

packette
      Attached Files

Comment

Sal, don't know much about naval badges so I can't comment on it. However, in reguards to the corrosion I use mineral oil. I know Frank likes to use Vasoline for zinc pest and it works well also.

Chet
        Zinc stinks!

Comment

Very nice Sal and a genuine packet too I see you like your boxed and packeted awards to, good for you mate. I saw this on the E stand from our Ricky and I'm glad it's gone to good home.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Comment

Vasoline for zinc pest

Sal,

I would also recommend using the vasoline (pure petroleum jelly--not the hand lotion!) as it works pretty good on zincpest and usually is absorbed in a day or two.

Frank had recommended it to me on one of my zinc U-boat badges and it worked great! Just put it on a bit thick, gently rub it in with your fingers or a cotton swab and let the piece sit for a day or two applying more if needed. After that, wipe off the excess. It will appear a bit greasy at first, but will eventually absorb/dry with a nice finish and hopefully the zincpest will not return.

I'm not sure here on the bright gilding you have, but it didn't effect my badge at all. Good luck!
            Tim

Comment

Hi Sal,

congrats on your minty badge, and the packet as well, looks like you are going into competition with Marcus for packets.
              Vaseline has worked for me really well to, although I would advise not to cover the whole badge in it, just the points were the zink is coming through. Why? I have observed that the vaseline can change the golden colour to more of a bronzey one, nothing really bad but still better to avoid, same goes for any oil/grease mixtures, just treat the points that need it.

Skip
              LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X