Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kriegsmarine fakes from 1968

Hello folks,
    I have this old list of some of the Kriegsmarine fakes that were available from 1968. I thought the newer members to this hobby might find this of interest. As you can see reproductions have been a problem of this hooby since the war ended.

Regards,
    Jody

Cover:
    Attached Files

Fake List

KM badges part 1:
    Attached Files

Comment

Fake List

KM fakes part 2:
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jody, That's fascinating...are there any pics, I'd really love to see some of those fancier-sounding badges. They must look great? ...cheers, S
        Cheers, Steve
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

Dietrich Maerz devotes some 10 pages to this guy Schiffer and his post war activities in the book "The Knights Cross Of The Iron Cross". Where Dietrich
          shows a sufficient amount of documents proving that Schiffer offers not only KM awards, but all kinds of the Reich awards, diamonds, no diamonds, gold, silver and platinum versions, etc.
          Presumably a huge amount of these "cheap" awards entered the states in the first 20 years after the war, ordered by different collectors and who knows who else. Its normal, the generations change, a lot of these pieces will little by little bomb the market, SO BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Regards

Comment

Don't worry too much. A lot of these things were probably from Souval. An old friend of mine who was an Army officer in Germany in the late 60's actually visited with Sedlatzek (another dealer offering pieces at the same time as Schiffer, and whose lists have also been widely shown on forums) and found, to his disappointment, that everything the guy had was Souval. Vienna was a real center for fakes after the war and was also the home base for Ken Lane, an American who stayed in Europe after the war. Lane created some interesting, and very well done, fakes, to include Brilliants badges. Today when these crop up, they are very, very pretty, but detectable fairly readily as copies.

Sedlatzek, at least, was a real medal dealer during the war, and had real things in at least the immediate postwar period. Dietrich shows an RK sold by Sedlatzek, which was real but doesn't match "official" versions, in his book.
            Last edited by Leroy; 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X