Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Era or Post-War Repair: HSF

Fellas,
    What are your thoughts on this repair? War time or post war repair? Not much of a badge collector so your thoughts are appreciated.

I apologize for the darkness of the photo. This is a photo from my hard drive which doesn't illustrate the repair to the catch that well. I'll upload a better pic after I take one tommorrow.

Tom
    Attached Files

A snap illustrating the obverse of this HSF.
    Attached Files

Comment

You have to add more watermarks to the picture, to make sure that nobody is able to see any detail anymore. Good work!

Daniel

Comment

"You have to add more watermarks to the picture, to make sure that nobody is able to see any detail anymore. Good work!"

Heheeee...I know. My software does it automatically. Here's another without H2O marking.
        Attached Files

Comment

I like it, The repair job was skillfully done to a very nice badge.
          Here is my posting of one that has an intact original back.
          Regards,
          JustinG

As for the wartime repair or post, I don't have the experience to contribute a comment. Very nice though.
          Attached Files

Comment

Repair looks old to me.

Comment

Hi Tom,

a very nice looking badge the repair doesn´t distract a single bit. I would say this is a 99.9% period repair, and very skillful done. I bet this was a jewelers repair during that period.

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

As an observation, as a collector who likes service worn badges. The condition of the badge from the photos is wonderful. IMO: I myself see no reason why this badge if ever being valued would have anything less than another HSF badge in similar with all original fittings due to the superb job that this sailor took in getting this award skillfully repaired.
                A fine example.
                Regards,
                JustinG

Comment

Hi friends,

Thank you very much for the input, information, and nice words about the badge. Those of you who know me, know i'm not much of a badge collector. I actually accidentally began a KM badge collection a few years back after haphazzardly buying an inexpensive minesweeper which set the hook, then ended up focusing nearly all my energy learning KM badges. I had at the time neglected my work on Weimar and TR-era Heer sabers. It took about 12-18 months to complete the KM badge collection, but it was worth it. I was picky and was able to assemble the badge collection at well below retail. I had waited till the right badges at the right price came around. I was also fortunate enough to utilize my network of friends, etc., to help me locate items at attractive prices.

This particular badge came from a peer here on WAF. He was selling it for something like $225 so I grabbed it as you know HSF badges aren't cheap..per se. My intention was, and still is to eventually upgrade this one, and when I do, I had promised a young, newer collector with limited resources, my badge at below what I had paid, in order to help him out and get started.

Thank you again guys for the information. Come visit us in the edged weapons sections.

Tom

Comment

Interesting... I just bought one from the estand for $225. Got worried for a second, but took another look and they're not the same badges. I like yours better!
                    DTS

Comment

Thank you for the input friends.

So, how do most of you feel about the repair? I know it's nearly impossible to reliably date it, however, based on the totality of objective observation, what would you think?
                      1. Post-war by an allied liberator?
                      2. Post-war by German owner?
                      3. Post-war by a collector?
                      4. War-time repair by a qualified German jewler/craftsman?

The sotter on the repair looks old and appears to posess the even patina associated with the rest of the badges reverse. Patina can be faked, but why go through all the trouble on a legitimate badge, with a repair? Is the quality of the repair jewler quality, associated with craftsman who repaired similiar items in Germany during the war?

For me, it really doesn't make a huge difference if the repair is war-time or post-war. However, when I do upgrade and list the piece for sale, I would like to be able to provide as much information to prospective buyers as possible.

Thank you again,
                      Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X