U-Boat ID pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-Boat ID pls

While we're at it please id this zink U-boat badge.

To me it looks like a BH Mayer and then again not, so who is the maker, thanks.
    Attached Files

and reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Its in the Mayer but that is not a Mayer reverse set up, quite a thick pin? Unless its the pics there appears to be new solder under the hinge or is that just the pics, i guess what I am asking is do you think the hinge has been replaced have seen these with different reverse set up but this one is knew to me and sometimes found on fakes, F.O springs to mind, although not saying yours is. All the best

Comment

Forgot to mention award looks zinc? strange for that type of set up.

Comment

That's a Mayer pin from their EK1. Must have been handy!

Comment

Been searching the forum again and finally found this post by Sal Williams about a year ago: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=Uboot+trade

To me it looks very similar and nobody's screaming FAKE in Sal's thread so that's something at least....

Comment

With the cut out arms to the swastika it is easy to think of Zimmerman,but i have yet to see a zinc badge that can really be attributed to them.
              Almost certainly a Pfortzheim maker IMO,but which one?

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi guys, the obverse/reverse is definitely a Zimmermann, only the hardware is find of funky, but maybe that is the L52 hardware for their zinc U-boots
                Regards

Comment

How about an image with the pin up?

John

Comment

Sure thing. Light is not good here atm but hopefully these will do.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Catch
                      Attached Files

Comment

and sideview.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is not a Zimmermann. Not even close. It is not a Shickle either. It is a tombak variant of Mayer.

Zimmerman requires all four legs to be cut out, not three.

We have discussed the differences in the three badge quite a bit over the years.

All Mayer zinc badges have a round disc under the catch, typical of zinc badges.

John

Comment

Hi guys definately Mayer style, must be the pictures as the front looks Zinc to me, but no signs of being zinc now on the back. Hinge shows no signs of being replaced either from those last shots.All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X