High Seas Fleet Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the help!!!

I am thinking about putting this badge on the Estand. It would make a good badge for a beginning collector or someone, like me, who can't shovel out $700 + for a HSF in top of the line condition. It would also look nice on a salty kriegsmarine jacket.

A few people have told me they think this badge has had blood on it at one time, especially on the reverse. I am not sure how this could be proven. I have seen helmets where blood stains have made somewhat of a curdling look on the metal. I am sure it does not really matter as far as value is concerned, but it would make for an interesting discussion. The man I bought this badge from said it was a vet bring back. I do not really put much stock in the old "vet bring back" stories like I used to, but I really believe this one may have been taken off a fallen German sailor. Maybe even the Captain of the Bismarck...

Thanks Again!
    Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by EMSMIT2 View Post
      .... but I really believe this one may have been taken off a fallen German sailor. Maybe even the Captain of the Bismarck...

Thanks Again!
      Eddie
      Not unless someone grabbed it off him before he went under with his ship ....

Comment

I know how much these go for in mint condition, but I am having trouble deciding this one's value. Most of the finish is long gone, but, with the exception of the pin, there is not any pitting on the badge. It has a well worn look to it, but it is still quite attractive IMHO. I am not sure if I would refer to this medal as "ground dug" though. I have listed the medal on the Estand, and I am surprised it has not yet sold. I would like to get some opinions from all of you as to how much you think this badge is worth. I am kind of at a loss on this one. I might end up just holding on to it since I know it is the real mccoy, and I could never afford a HSF badge in mint condition.

Thanks,
        Eddie

Comment

Hi Eddie,

IMO this badge is worth roughly $100-150 USD... but it all depends what somebody is willing to pay for this. If you sold it on ebay you would probably get a lot more for it. But there are still a lot of nice Schwerin HSF badges out there, and I'd think most of the collectors here would be looking for one in better condition. You still have a nice, authentic badge... but the condition of it is poor, and the price should reflect that.

Comment

You are probably right. I think I will just hold on to it for now. Thanks for your help!

Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
              Good on left, this badge on the right. Obverse and reverse side by side. This is a good way to study these badges. John
              Hi John,
              you said "good on left" but I never seen a good badge like this one with only four windows. That on right is good I.M.H.O.
              Val

Comment

Originally posted by valsente View Post
                Hi John,
                you said "good on left" but I never seen a good badge like this one with only four windows. That on right is good I.M.H.O.
                Val
                I will take the liberty to answer here, the four window version of the HSF (tombac) is considered midwar, after the significant wear of the die, the very left window (5th) is very poorly formed, on some examples almost not visible
                Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X