HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of the named Destroyers were not named after KM officers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of the named Destroyers were not named after KM officers?

I would love to post this as a poll, but I don't seem to have the know how to do so.

How many named destroyers were named after non Naval Imperial officersl?

I know the answer, do you?

Here are the named list: (also they are in their assigned number Z_)

Lebrerecht Maass
    Georg Max Thiele
    Max Schultz
    Richard Beitzen
    Paul Jakobi
    Theodor Riedel
    Hermann Schoemann
    Bruno Heinemann
    Wolfgang Zenker
    Hans Lody
    Bernd Von Arnim
    Erich Giese
    Erich Koellner
    Fredrich Ihn
    Fredrich Eckoldt
    Diether Von Roeder
    Hans Ludemann
    Hermann Kunne
    Karl Galster
    William Heidkamp
    Anton Schmitt
    All were named after Kriegsmarine officers
    26.67%
    All except one
    6.67%
    All except two
    0.00%
    All except three
    13.33%
    All except four
    6.67%
    All except five
    6.67%
    All except six
    0.00%
    All except seven
    0.00%
    I don't know
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JustinG; 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM. Reason: Was caught in a technicallity.

I placed my vote and i think i know the answer?
    For the sake of interest here are the only two photo's i have so far of Zerstorer Cap Tallies in wear.

Richard Beitzen.

Regards,Martin.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Martin Westley; 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Hermann Schoemann.
      Attached Files

Comment

Kind of disappointed that this post only has three people who have taken a shot at this question.

Thanks to those who have voted up to now.

JustinG

Comment

tried to cheat!

Originally posted by JustinG View Post
          Kind of disappointed that this post only has three people who have taken a shot at this question.

Thanks to those who have voted up to now.

JustinG
          I "cheated" by looking at the german-navy.de website, but this only confused me.
          It listed 15 destroyers in the 1936A and 1936B classes named "Z and a number" - certainly not KM officers! - so the answer would have to be >15!
          http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmari...yer/index.html
          I guess "Cheaters never prosper"... I'll have to vote "I don't know".
          Best regards,
          ---Norm

Comment

I think the correct answer is not available in the Poll. None were named after Kriegsmarine Officers, so answer to which were NOT named after Kriegsmarine Officers is ALL of them

Comment

Ok, here's some help/clarifications.
              When I say that they are in order, I mean if you were to search German Destroyer Z1, it would be Lebrerecht Maass. Z2 being Georg Max Thiele, Z21 Anton Schmitt etc...

The first 21 destroyers were named, also they had tallies for their ships before the Kriegsmarine tally was enforced by the German High Command.

Regards,
              JustinG

Comment

Still a problem with the available Poll answers.

All Destroyers were named after persons from the Imperial period, so none were named after Kriegsmarine officers, so surely the answer to "How many of the KM destroyers are not named for Kriegsmarine officers" is all of them and that answer is not available.

Certainly got me confused.

Comment

I apologize, they are not part the Kriegsmarine. they were named after WW1 persons.
                  Thanks for catching me in a technicality.

However, The question still exists where how many of the German Destroyers that were named were officers vs. how many were not named after naval officers, ie.. enlisted, or other personalities not related to the kaiser's marine forces.

Comment

If you were to go look at whom the destroyers were named after, using the above list, you should be able to find out something about the persons in question and what their duties and rank was when they served and for which service.

Best of luck.

Regards,
                    JustinG

Comment

So this thread was going to go for a bit longer, but, it seems like the interest has gone away. I would like to share this information with you all:

So here is the answer:

See next post.

Comment

Answer is 5. Hans Lody, Hans Lüdemann,Hermann Künne, Wilhelm Heidkamp, Anton Schmitt

Leberecht Maass (or Maaß) (24 November 1863 – 28 August 1914) was the rear admiral who commanded the German naval forces at the first Battle of Heligoland Bight. He lost his life when his flagship, the light cruiser SMS Köln, was sunk by British battlecruisers commanded by Vice Admiral David Beatty.

Georg Max Thiele was a German Naval Officer (Korvettenkapitan) killed during World War I. During World War One he commanded the Seventh Half Flotilla of torpedo boats, based out of Flanders. His ship, Torpedoboot S119, was sunk along with his entire flotilla by British forces on a minelaying mission in October 1914 during the Battle off Texel.

Korvettenkapitan Max Konrad Felix Schulz was a German naval officer killed during World War I. His ship, the torpedo boat V69 was sunk in action with Royal Navy forces on 23 January 1917.

Kapitanleutnant Richard Beitzen was a German Naval officer killed in World War I. He was the commander of the 14th Torpedo boat flotilla, which ran into a British minefield in the North Sea. He died leading his flotilla out.

Korvettenkapitän Paul Jakobi (died 2 December 1915) was a German Naval officer killed during World War I. He commanded the 8th Torpedo boat half flotilla and was killed when his ship, Torpedoboot V25 hit a British mine in the North Sea.

Korvettenkapitan Theodor Riedel (died 31 May 1916) was a German naval officer killed in World War I. He was commander of the 6th Torpedoboat half flottila during the Battle of Jutland and was killed in action.

Kapitanleutenant Hermann Schoemann (died 1 May 1915) was a German Naval officer killed in world war I. He was commander of torpedoboot A2 which was sunk in action with Royal Navy Forces off the coats of Flanders.

Korvettenkapitan Bruno Heinemann (died 5 November 1918) was a German officer killed during World War I. He was first officer of the battleship SMS König and was murdered by rebel sailors during the Wilhelmshaven mutiny, together with Wolfgang Zenker.

Lieutenant zu Zee Wolfgang Zenker (died 5 November 1918) was a German officer killed during World War I. He was an officer on the battleship SMS König and was murdered by rebel sailors during the Wilhelmshaven mutiny together with Bruno Heinemann.

Carl Hans Lody (January 20, 1877 – November 6, 1914; name sometimes given as Karl Hans Lody) was executed as a German spy by Great Britain at the Tower of London soon after the outbreak of World War I.

Kapitänleutnant Bernd von Arnim (died 21 April 1917) was a German naval officer killed during World War I. He was killed in action with Royal Navy forces aboard torpedo boat SMS G42 during the Battle of Dover Strait.

Kapitanlieutenant Erich Giese (died 5 June 1917) was a German naval officer killed in world war 1. He died in action against royal navy forces aboard torpedoboot S20.

Kapitanleutnant Erich Koellner (died 20 April 1918) was a German naval officer killed in World War I. He was commander of minesweeper M95.

Kapitanleutenant Friedrich Ihn (died 31 May 1916) was a German naval officer killed in World War 1. He died commanding the torpedoboat S35 during the Battle of Jutland.

Kapitanleutenant Erich Steinbrinck (died 31 May 1916) was a German naval officer killed in action during World War I. He was commander of Torpedoboot V29 which was sunk during the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916.

Kapitanleutenant Friedrich Eckoldt (died 31 May 1916) was a german naval officer killed during World War I. He commanded torpedoboat V48 which was sunk during the Battle of Jutland.

Kapitänleutnant Diether von Roeder (died 10 July 1918) was a German naval officer killed during World War I. He was commander of the 13th Torpedo Boat Flotilla and died aboard Torpedo Boat S66.

Marine Engineer Hans Lüdemann (died 1913) was a German sailor who died saving his ship, Torpedo Boat S148, after a boiler room explosion. His actions saved many lives. A World War II German destroyer, Z18, which was scuttled in the Battle of Narvik.

Matrose Hermann Künne (died 23 April 1918) was a German sailor killed during World War I. He was based at Zeebrugge and died fighting British soldiers during the Zeebrugge Raid.

Kapitänleutnant Karl Galster (died 25 March 1916) was a German naval officer killed in World War I. He was commander of Torpedo Boat S22 and died when she was sunk in action with the Royal Navy.

Pumpenmeister (mil. rank: Maat) Wilhelm Heidkamp (1883-1931) was a German sailor who fought in World War I. He was a Petty Officer (equiv) on SMS Seydlitz during the Battle of the Dogger Bank in January 1915. During the battle, the ship was hit by gunfire from HMS Lion that knocked out both rear turrets and caused a cordite flashover. Heidkamp prevented his ship exploding by flooding the magazines, turning the valves despite them glowing red hot. During this action his hands and lungs were severely injured, and he eventually died of consequent lung disease in 1926.

Bootsmannsmaat Anton Schmitt (died 31 May 1916) was a German sailor killed during World War I. He was a gunner aboard the light cruiser SMS Frauenlob during the Battle of Jutland and stuck by his gun despite grave injury and died when his ship was sunk.

Comment

So this thread was going to go for a bit longer, but, it seems like the interest has gone away. I would like to share this information with you all:

So here is the answer:

See next post.

This information was obtained from www.wikipedia.com

Comment

thanks

Thanks Justin! Very interesting.
                            Regards,
                            ---Norm

Comment

very interesting, thank you

Terrence

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X