Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"U-Boat" Badge - Real or Fake?

Hello again this is Robert!

I was told by a fellow collector that a "U-Boat" Badge that I have has a Maker's Mark by Frank & Reif” from “Stuttgart” Germany and that company never made "U-Boat" Badges.

I am posting some photos for all of you experts to look at. If it's not real, I am going to be very frustrated because I bought this from a well known dealer who has never screwed me before.

Gentlemen! Your thoughts???

I just became an Associate Member but do not know how to post photos. I will try to figure it out.

Robert

to post pics, post a reply to this thread. Below the box where you can type your message, click the grey button in the center of the page that says "manage attachments". Go from there. I'm sorry, but I think your friend is likely right regarding your badge...

-Josh

Comment

"U-Boat" Photos

Robert's Back!

Let's try som photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo Back

Here's the Back.
        Attached Files

Comment

Photo Three - The Eagle

Here is the top of the badge.
          Attached Files

Comment

100% Fake.

Your friend is quite correct that Frank and Reif NEVER made u boat badges.

Al

Comment

Yes definitely a fake. I saw one of these a few weeks ago and got the chance to inspect it, these are very good copies, I certainly understand why so many collectors pick them up...

Regards,

Daniel

Comment

Definitely a fake that is featured in the "Fakes Gallery". See post #6:
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=102002
                Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Thank youall!

Dear Lorenzo:

Thank you and all the others for the information. As you can see from my photos, it is indeed a very nice copy. Plus I am out some serious money and feel like a fool.

Other than knowing that Frank & Reif did not make them, how do you tell it is fake?

Sincerely,
                  Robert

Comment

I had one offered to me, just like this one,a while back.It is a Fake badge.

Comment

I agree with all my dear fellows

Comment

The fact that they only hit the market in the 80s was the biggest giveaway - that and being outed in the French Militaria Magazine in the early 90s.

A good dealer will refund your money - hound him until he does!

Regards
                        Mike
                        Regards
                        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

looks like stuttgart stamp is running up hill, why not make it straight? front looks nice!

Comment

U-boat badge

Hello,
                            This badge is 100% fake. If you had used the search function on this forum you would have seen at least a half a dozen threads dedicated to this reproduction. I even have the French magazine which outs this badge on one of these threads.

Here is the link in which I posted the article: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+U-boat+badges

Regards,
                            Jody
                            Last edited by Jody; 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Fake F&R U-Boat badge

Hello, I saw this identical fake F&R U-Boat badges twice at local militaria shows. I had chance to check this such badge on the local dealer's table. He told me that this was "real". I put it back in his display case. Luckily, I dont buy that fake badge. I walked away and moved to different dealer tables. I actually knew that F&R never make any U-Boat badges during WW2. F&R was mostly Army combat badge maker. Schwerin made most of naval combat badges during WW2. I would stay away from this fake F&R U-boat badge when I see this.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X