Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donitz - U BOOT - Opinions?

Hi Guys,

What's your opinions on this piece. From my reading only 1 was ever made and it was denazified after being surrended by Donitz in 1945. Is this a copy or....????

I have never seen or heard of a U-Boot Badge with diamond in the wreath,In my opinion this is a fantasy piece.Jay Parisi

Comment

Have to agree total fantasy from the early 1980s or a run of similar badges that Souval producedin the late 50 and early 60s if I am not mistaken.

Here is a suposed 'war time' pic of a real one U-boat War Badge with Diamonds.jpg
      Last edited by byterock; 02-03-2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

U-boat badge

Hello,
        Doenitz did have a U-boat badge with diamonds in the wreath. However that badge is of Schwerin Berlin design.

The badge pictured is no good.

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Jody is right regarding Donitz's personal badge with diamonds in the wreath. The whereabouts of the badge is still unknown to my knowledge- I'd heard rumors that it was broken up to get the diamonds out of it, but I dont recall where I'd heard that.

However, according to Bill Stump's audience with Dr. Klietmann (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/asso...mp_article.php), he assured Bill that the Donitz badge was made by Godet. All of the Uboat badges with diamonds that Donitz gave out later to his ace commanders were of Schwerin manufacture.

Josh

Comment

I think the badge was returned to him. It is possibly with the family. His funeral pillow clearly shows a U-Boat badge, but if this is the diamond one, you can not see.

Comment

Would be a good wearer if reasonably priced. Have you tested the diamonds to see if they are real or moisinite, or other synthetic diamonds. ? Ive never seen diamond relief holes champfered that way , and every diamond would have a relief hole even on the swas.Casting isnt very finely done,(pock holes overall ) wasnt deburred or burnished. Cool piece anyway. Whats the mark under the pin, as it cant be seen in this back shot.?

Comment

This is never the work of a German jewler from that period in time. Just look at the way the fake stones are set in.
                At the very best this was cast in someones garage and he did the countersinking on the reverse with another drill and not with the tool used to countersink holes. He then broke his daughters fake diamond necklace apart and glued the stones into place.

Terrible!!!

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by schulzem View Post
                  This is never the work of a German jewler from that period in time. Just look at the way the fake stones are set in.
                  At the very best this was cast in someones garage and he did the countersinking on the reverse with another drill and not with the tool used to countersink holes. He then broke his daughters fake diamond necklace apart and glued the stones into place.

Terrible!!!

Markus
                  Agreed! Amazingly bad.
                  best wishes,
                  jeff
                  Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Oh, that one was mean!

Comment

Hi Guys its not actually my piece but pictures that came up along the way. I really know very little about badges and i'm getting my feet on the KM badge side of things. All knowledge is a step forward for me so its interesting to hear everybodys opinions

Regards,

Justin

Comment

I thought I read somewhere the original was cut up, at least the eagle being cut out.
                        Regards, Rob
                        Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Rob you are partially right. The badge was taken from him,then the piece had the Swastika removed vand the badge was returned to him. The time frame is unclear as I was only given a picture of the badge in this form.

Comment

Originally posted by WARLORD View Post
                            Rob you are partially right. The badge was taken from him,then the piece had the Swastika removed vand the badge was returned to him. The time frame is unclear as I was only given a picture of the badge in this form.
                            Any pictures of Doentz's badge before/after we can see please?

Comment

I have a picture of it as deNazified and a picture of it as compleat. Unfortunatly I can not post pictures. Will post a link later when I can put the pictures up.

THIS IS THE LINK, - http://stirnpanzer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=1076
                              Last edited by WARLORD; 02-08-2009, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X