Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAVAL BADGE real or fake ?

Expert opinion needed.

That is odd it has a lower case b 'bock' or just a badly formed upper case 'B' in 'Bock'?

Comment

Period HSF zinc version by Schwerin. Join the forum and you can study the badge in more detail by viewing Mike Kenny's study on these badges pinned at the top. John

Comment

Hi kRazor,

First up, you don't write your name, so I have to use your username.

Second, all your posts ask for expert opinion - I suggest you drop the "expert" as you are going to get no response from 99% of the membership who do not consider themselves as experts and stroke the already huge ego of the 1% who mistakenly do believe they are experts (for the record, I strongly consider myself one of the former).

Lasty, "is it real or fake" threads, with no attempt at your own research/evaluation first, is going to result in no interest/response to your threads very quickly.

Regards
        Mike
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Well, first off, welcome to the forum kRazor. I would like to say that your zinc HSF Schwerin is an outstanding example by this maker.

I would also like to say that with only a few posts, you are not aware of some of the WAF's "protocols"--one of those is that if you use a username not your own, at least sign off with your real first name. It makes people a little more comfortable. No way to know this if nobody tells you.

I hope others reading this that use made up names at least use their real first name too, this is not just a problem with you.

I also think that using the word "expert" was your way of being nice, but once again, that word is not one we like on the forum although there are experts here. Take a look at two of the pins at the top of this forum and you will see the name Mike Kenny. He is an expert in my opinion although he might not like to hear that. He was one of the first members that helped me in this hobby many years ago and I will always be grateful to his advice, insights and personal messages that guided me through the very tough introduction to this hobby.

Mike is one of the best members of this forum and his experience that covers decades does make him an expert. If there were no experts so to speak, no reason for this forum. All the opinions would be worthless and believe me, Mike's opinions are what helped make this forum what it is.

The "is it real" question is a typical post by a new member. I did it too. Members like Lorenzo, Frank H., Gordon W., Skip, Jeff V., Mike, Jody, Rob, most not posting or off this forum now helped me develop a real love for the hobby.

Others have stepped forward, like Martin Westley who is an expert in the Auxiliary Cruiser badge, so it evolves.

We need new members, keep posting your badges, take Mike's advice to rephrase your posts and I think you will get out of the forum what you are seeking.

I do not know what you posted on other sections of WAF, but you can simply edit your post now that Mike has given you some insights to how this forum works and all will be well.

Like I said, glad to see a new member here and I hope you keep posting in the future. Paying the small cost of joining will enable you to read Mike's pin and if that is not an expert study, I sure do not know what is. The search feature is also of great help to the new member. I know, I have been there, even after studying all the previous posts, you still want confirmation of your badges and other items, only natural.

You need a thick skin to be a TR collector, do not take anything too personally. We are here to help and please take it in that spirit.

John
          Last edited by John R.; 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
            Hi kRazor,

First up, you don't write your name, so I have to use your username.

Second, all your posts ask for expert opinion - I suggest you drop the "expert" as you are going to get no response from 99% of the membership who do not consider themselves as experts and stroke the already huge ego of the 1% who mistakenly do believe they are experts (for the record, I strongly consider myself one of the former).

Lasty, "is it real or fake" threads, with no attempt at your own research/evaluation first, is going to result in no interest/response to your threads very quickly.

Regards
            Mike
            Hi Mike,first i want to introduce my self my name is Eddie and i am most clueless
            collector in the world i think.
            I am here most likely for short time .Just looking for some badges for my display.
            I only want originals and most of the items that i am looking for i never even hold it in my hands so you probably understand how cluless i am.
            My first purchase was like 11 years ego from the pastor 9 items medals and badges
            and i wanted to get more but never had chance to buy anything for one simple reason luck of money and being so busy with my biggest passion MUSIC.

most likely i will post more stupid requests like (real or not) and i hope that i dont disturb anybody to much, in my opinion this is why you have this section in this forum, if i would have any clue i would be answering
            to people like you do but for now i am learning from all of you the depth of collecting.

all the best,

eddie

Comment

Hi Eddie,

Nice to "meet" you and welcome to the forum!

I can understand where you are coming from but you have to be careful. If you are putting down big bucks without the knowledge, you WILL loose out. No-one here is infallible and mistakes can be made unintentionally. There are too many sharks in this hobby so the safest way to collect is to know what you are buying BEFORE you buy. It will take more time and you won't have an overnight collection but it will be worth it at the end.

About the forum, it's basically by collectors, for collectors. There is no evaluation/expertise service here. The moderators are here on a voluntary (unpaid) basis as, of course, are members. Collectors around here tend to suss each other out fairly rapidly. Those who only "take" tend to get ignored after a while, so my previous posts was not aimed to scare or offend but to help.

By all means, please continue to post, but I'd hope you at least try to use the search function at the top of the page and have some sort of idea re authenticity.

Regards
              Mike
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                Well, first off, welcome to the forum kRazor. I would like to say that your zinc HSF Schwerin is an outstanding example by this maker.

I would also like to say that with only a few posts, you are not aware of some of the WAF's "protocols"--one of those is that if you use a username not your own, at least sign off with your real first name. It makes people a little more comfortable. No way to know this if nobody tells you.

I hope others reading this that use made up names at least use their real first name too, this is not just a problem with you.

I also think that using the word "expert" was your way of being nice, but once again, that word is not one we like on the forum although there are experts here. Take a look at two of the pins at the top of this forum and you will see the name Mike Kenny. He is an expert in my opinion although he might not like to hear that. He was one of the first members that helped me in this hobby many years ago and I will always be grateful to his advice, insights and personal messages that guided me through the very tough introduction to this hobby.

Mike is one of the best members of this forum and his experience that covers decades does make him an expert. If there were no experts so to speak, no reason for this forum. All the opinions would be worthless and believe me, Mike's opinions are what helped make this forum what it is.

The "is it real" question is a typical post by a new member. I did it too. Members like Lorenzo, Frank H., Gordon W., Skip, Jeff V., Mike, Jody, Rob, most not posting or off this forum now helped me develop a real love for the hobby.

Others have stepped forward, like Martin Wesley who is an expert in the Auxiliary Cruiser badge, so it evolves.

We need new members, keep posting your badges, take Mike's advice to rephrase your posts and I think you will get out of the forum what you are seeking.

I do not know what you posted on other sections of WAF, but you can simply edit your post now that Mike has given you some insights to how this forum works and all will be well.

Like I said, glad to see a new member here and I hope you keep posting in the future. Paying the small cost of joining will enable you to read Mike's pin and if that is not an expert study, I sure do not know what is. The search feature is also of great help to the new member. I know, I have been there, even after studying all the previous posts, you still want confirmation of your badges and other items, only natural.

You need a thick skin to be a TR collector, do not take anything too personally. We are here to help and please take it in that spirit.

John
                Hi John,thank you for your post and advise i will be honest and good to everybody here, looks like this is very friendly forum and so far everybody is very good to me
                i am glad to be part of it.
                how long have you been collecting ? and what is your speciality ?

kind regards,

eddie

Comment

Hello Eddie,

Yes, there are a lot of good people on this forum. I recommend strongly that you join as a member so you can study the articles pinned at the top and also use the search function to read the many posts that apply to the badges you own or might be interested in.

I have been collecting for around 30 years, not sure how much of that time I knew what I was doing.

My areas of interest are (1) cap tallies (muetzenbander) and (2) war badges of the kriegsmarine.

I also recommend that you take Mike's advice and change "expert opinion" on your posts to "opinions requested"--sounds better.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
                    Hello Eddie,

Yes, there are a lot of good people on this forum. I recommend strongly that you join as a member so you can study the articles pinned at the top and also use the search function to read the many posts that apply to the badges you own or might be interested in.

I have been collecting for around 30 years, not sure how much of that time I knew what I was doing.

My areas of interest are (1) cap tallies (muetzenbander) and (2) war badges of the kriegsmarine.

I also recommend that you take Mike's advice and change "expert opinion" on your posts to "opinions requested"--sounds better.

John
                    Hi John,wow 30 years its long time.
                    thank you for your advise i will keep this in mind.

regards,

eddie

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum, nice original

Have to say thou I disagree with Mike and John. A forum member should not be forced to disclose there real name if they chose not too. To disclose your name is your own personal choice a choice we alone have to make. For personal reasons I chose not too that is not to say certain forum members do not know who I am or even where I live (no stalkers please) Whether I reply to a thread or not does not count on whether I know that persons real name, I simply reply to the user name. As paying members I feel that is our choice. Each to there own I guess is what I am saying.

All the best
                      MRG
                      Last edited by mrg; 01-31-2009, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                        Hi welcome to the forum, nice original

Have to say thou I disagree with Mike and John. A forum member should not be forced to disclose there real name if they chose not too. To disclose your name is your own personal choice a choice we alone have to make. For personal reasons I chose not too that is not to say certain forum members do not know who I am or even where I live (no stalkers please) Whether I reply to a thread or not does not count on whether I know that persons real name, I simply reply to the user name. As paying members I feel that is our choice. Each to there own I guess is what I am saying.

All the best
                        MRG
                        Well, I agree with you on the the username itself. There are many reasons not to use your real name and I have no issue with that. The internet, forums, even email, is a two edged sword. This is a TR collecting site afterall and that could be misunderstood by certain people and used in a detrimental fashion--not a big leap of imagination in this PC world.

I have even considered at times going back to my original username but even then I still signed off with my real first name.

My point was that there should be no problem with a first name when you sign off. Heck, make it up if you want. Just makes a thread more friendly IMO, but if somebody wants to be addressed as "Donald Duck" OK with me.

In fact, you could create a completely made up normal name and nobody would know the difference except for Seba and a few other super moderators.

In the end, for the record, there is no rule on this forum but to create a username that is not inflammatory, although I see a lot that I think should be changed, you know what I am talking about.

I have explained and clairfied my post, Mike never did say somebody should use their real name, and I think that is enough said on the badge forum concerning this issue.

Best to you also MRG, I did not mean to make an issue of this.

John

Comment

Hi John not a problem, just voicing my views. In fact its nice to see you back on the forum. All the best and hope all is well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X