Small battle units badge kriegsmarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small battle units badge kriegsmarine

Any thoughts on this one. Thanks in advance.

Tom
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

An opinion

Tom,
      My understanding is that the bronze, silver and gold badge grades of this award were approved before war's end but never produced. There is a prototype that is from the designer of the badge that exists but it is a one off item and in a private collection. If you do a forum search this has been discussed and pics of the prototype are available.

The badges seen today for sale sem to be of two varieties. One is a poorly made copy and the other is well made and may be a post war award. As you see these are devoid of swastikas and so could be worn unchanged in design post war. Unfortunately some dealers or makers often stamp these with bogus LDO numbers to make them look like wartime manufacture and charge very high prices for them. I think it is reasonable to buy them as post war awards and the appropriate post war awards prices.

If you do find the prototype pics on the site and compare it to the modern pieces you will see some subtle differences in the details of the fish and the rope.

As a final note, there was a rumor back in the 1960's here in the U.S. that a vet had found a box of unfinished badges on a work bench some where that were devoid of pin, clasp or hinge set ups. Each was wrapped in tissue and there were 25 in the box. I tried to track this story back to the origin but repeatedly met a dead end (but I haven't totally given up!). Maybe one day this will turn up as we lose more and more members of that generation.

Mike

Comment

HI MIKE,

THANKS FOR THE DETAILED INFO

REGARDS,
        TOM

Comment

I am fortunatly enough to have the two examples from Dr K archieve that went to David Littlejohn in 1950. They are a little different to that which is shown.

Comment

Sorry

Tom,
            I am sorry that I misinformed you about it being a one off prototype. I also thank Warlord for giving the correct information. I try not to pass on bad information so again, I apologize.
            Mike

Comment

My understanding is that these badges existed only in prototype form and that the fins had no "ribbing" but were, instead, smooth. The example shown is a postwar copy.

Comment

Originally posted by WARLORD View Post
                I am fortunatly enough to have the two examples from Dr K archieve that went to David Littlejohn in 1950. They are a little different to that which is shown.
                It would be very interesting to see what they look like! Is it possible?

Comment

I guess it is not possible...

Comment

Ludwick, it is possible but I will have to post them on the other new forum. I can not post on here.

Comment

Originally posted by WARLORD View Post
                      Ludwick, it is possible but I will have to post them on the other new forum. I can not post on here.
                      Or you can perhaps mail them to me directly!?

Comment

Your mailbox is full, so I have sent you an e-mail!

Comment

I have been able to post them, with historical background. This is the link

http://stirnpanzer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1031
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Norm F; 01-23-2015, 09:32 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked images. Description: "These were in the Dr K. archive, then purchased by David Littlejohn in the early 50's. One was used in Dr K's first book published in 1957."

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Leroy has a valid point about the fins. The clasp in Klietmann's book has no ribs on the fins, further more it's a plastic muster and apparently not one of two pieces shown by Warlord.

cheers
                              Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X