Opinions--L21 Destroyer Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions--L21 Destroyer Badge

Here is an "L/21" (Foerster & Barth) marked Destroyer badge I just acquired. I've never seen one before so I am looking for opinions. It has no gold on the wreath, but I am more concerned about it's authenticity. (It appears that the gold gilt was never applied, so I am assuming the badge was never finished for some reason.) Aside from that, everything looks period and high quality to me...but.......whadoIknow???
    http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/files/destsl21.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Norm F; 12-29-2013, 09:42 PM. Reason: uploaded the linked image
    Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Lorenzo,

This firm used a very distinctive pin fitting, one which I have seen on several KM Badges, including the U-Boat and Aux Cruiser. Your Destroyer Badge fits the L/21 style exactly.
    I wouldn't have any problems with it.

Gordon

Comment

Lorenzo and Gordon,

Thanks for sharing this with us. I continually learn more from others that share there collections and observations in this forum. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, Gordon.
        Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Anyone feel like sharing their thoughts as to why the wreath isnt colored?

Very uncommon badge! Thanks for sharing!

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Dear all,

I personally do not think that the badge never had a gold finish. If you look at the solder around the hinge and catch in the close ups, you can see remnants of the gold wash. I had zinkers in my collection that also just featured remnants of the gold wash in tiny, tiny parts. The rest was completely gone, not too uncommon especially on the obverse.

Cheers, Frank
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi,

I'm inclided to back Frank up on his observations. I have a Friedrick Orth marked Destroyer's badge and the only gold left on it is around the hinge/catch.

Lorenzo, good post. I've seen this type of hinge/pin/catch setup before on other KM badges (almost always unmarked though) and had always held them in suspicion. I've learnt something here as well.

Regards
              Mike K
              Regards
              Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

thanx for sharing the badge!

Comment

I had a High Seas Fleet Badge, posthumously awarded (in a three generation family group 1870-1945) that had all it's gilt finish "evaporated" off, leaving only the gray ship/waves finish.

It was a documented Scharnhorst fatality badge, still in the Friedrich Orth envelope, and just had all its finish fade off without ever having been worn at all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X