Destroyer Badge by GWL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Badge by GWL

Hi...picked up this nice Destroyer badge a couple weeks ago. Great detail on the badge itself but wanted to ask about the pin. Should this be a coke bottle type. It looks as though the pin's been filed down. So my question is....is this a replacement pin and catch or what would be the reason to file it.

Thanks in advance.....Peter

I should say....the pin has file marks on the top of the pin.
    Attached Files

Reverse..
    Attached Files

Comment

THE PIN LOOKS AS A REPLACEMENT BUT FROM THE PICS THE CATCH LOOKS FINE. THE PIN ON THESE BADGES HAS A TAPERED EFFECT. THE BADGE IS A NICE ORIGINAL GWL.

REGARDS,
      TOM

Comment

Originally posted by PODO01 View Post
        THE PIN LOOKS AS A REPLACEMENT BUT FROM THE PICS THE CATCH LOOKS FINE. THE PIN ON THESE BADGES HAS A TAPERED EFFECT. THE BADGE IS A NICE ORIGINAL GWL.

REGARDS,
        TOM
        Thanks Tom....If the pin has been replaced, I can live with that as the badge itself is a beauty.

Peter

Comment

Hi Guys,

Peter: That is a great badge!

That is not a replacement pin, but the original bellied pin that has been ground down on both the top and bottom. The brass base metal is clearly visible on the ground edges and Peter says that there are visible file marks.
          Why was this done? Probably because the bellied pin was too wide to fit the existing loops on the tunic. I own an original FLL Nahkampfspange where the pin was ground down like this, probably for the same reason.

Best regards,
          Tom
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 12-11-2008, 06:39 PM. Reason: added image
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks Tom.....that's made my day.....thanks for the opinion

Best.........Peter

Comment

Either way peter a beauty and a very hard maker to find. I to have this maker in my collection.

Tom

Comment

Right on Tom. I've seen this done on a number of badges. It's a really nice badge Peter. I think the GWL Destroyer is one of the nicest badges period. It seemed to really hold the finish well.

Richard

Comment

Very nice Zerstörer!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X