Ubadge Mayer zinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubadge Mayer zinc

Usually the Mayer , zinc made , UBadge is known in a version with a particulary design and mm on the reverse of the boat .
    Lately versions similar in the design to the tombac one has appeared on the market .
    Do you know anything about it ? How many versions are generally known ?
    many thanks

zinc A
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

- zinc B
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

- zinc C
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Genoa basically there are 3 styles, the Tombac design, followed by a limited production of the same style in zinc which appears to have various reverse style set ups (maybe they were testing which product was most suited, not a fact just my own assumption) follwed by the known and more accepted zinc version. The reason behind why they changed the style from the tombac design to the final zinc design to my knowledge remains unknown. Further more it is of general belief that this design may have been shared by various manufactures so not all from the same company. This still happens in manufacturing today where tools for a product are bought or even lent out for a time, plastic modelling is one such scenario that springs to mind. All the best

Comment

Gary,

another theory.Maybe Mayer gave their "tombak" dies to another Pfortzheim manufacturer who continued to use the dies for zinc production?

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
                  Gary,

another theory.Maybe Mayer gave their "tombak" dies to another Pfortzheim manufacturer who continued to use the dies for zinc production?

Regards,Martin.
                  Hi Martin yes that is another belief . All the best.

Comment

Martin's explanation is interesting but sounds unconvincing
                    The transition from tombac to zinc was probably due to the difficulty of finding the material during the war .
                    Since the dies were still operative , why not use them with zinc ?
                    To sell the dies to a third part could only increase the number of competitors in that market segment .
                    IMO Mayer has probably tried to use them again , has tested various ways of set up and at the end has chosen a different solution .
                    Maybe the dies could not be used any longer or there were too many scraps. But why alter the design altogheter ?
                    Other makers have tackled the same problem without altering the design ,
                    But why has Mayer done it ?
                    Probably the supplier of the original dies was no longer active , in order not to stop production Mayer may have resorted to dies close at hand even if with a different design .
                    Everyone can endorse either version . Unfortunately the smoking gun has not yet been found .
                    Out of curiosity I wonder why all of a sudden the zinc versions of the tombac design have appeared on the market ?
                    Where were they hiding so far ?
                    all the best

Comment

Hi genoa have to say I to have been somewhatconcerned by the sudden rise in zinc mayers and have checked a few out, some cause doubt for me but not all. As for the selling of dies would give rise to competors in wartime this tends to fall by the wayside the demands of war and country takes precedence. Also the same could be said in piece time but still occurs to this day. All the best
                      Last edited by mrg; 12-06-2008, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg View Post
                        Hi genoa have to say I to have been somewhatconcerned by the sudden rise in zinc mayers and have checked a few out, some cause doubt for me but not all. As for the selling of dies would give rise to competors in wartime this tends to fall by the wayside the demands of war and country takes precedence. Also the same could be said in piece time but still occurs to this day. All the best
                        patiotism vs business ? mah
                        From wich garret have these zinc badges come out ? Maybe another Deschler's trunk .
                        all the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                        X