No announcement yet.

Blockade Set-schwerin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Tend To Disagree- How Many Para Badges And Flight Badges Have We Seen In The Past With Crude Name/# Markings . There Are Jeweler Engraved Pieces, But The Majority Was Done In The Field.

Tom

Comment

Both badges look fine to me, as does the case from what I can see.

Re the engraving, scratches like this are indeed common on period badges. I'd be much more suspicious of a perfect engraving! When the engraving on this one was done and by who can only really be speculated, unless there is supporting documentation. I don't see any alarm bells and a google on the surname (or a German member with a phone book) should be able to help determine if the surname is potentially valid for the period.

Regards
      Mike
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Both badges look fine to me also.As far as the name is concerned i beleive it is original to the badge.
        I have a few KM badges where the name has been crudely scratched on the reverse.In the case of my Hilfskreuzer badges,i can trace the names to the ships the recipients served on.
        One of the names is Grzywotz.He served on the "Atlantis".It does not sound like a German name to me either.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
          Both badges look fine to me, as does the case from what I can see.

...edit...(or a German member with a phone book) should be able to help determine if the surname is potentially valid for the period.

Regards
          Mike
          WEll, a quick look at www.telefonbuch.de using the name "Khan" returns over 1000 matches. So it's fair to say there may have been a few in Germany back in the 40's.

best
          Hank
          Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
          ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks Guys For All The Help And Posts.

Tom

Comment

Judging by the spacing of the lettering the name can say "E K Han"...keep in mind that within the last 30 or 40 years Germany received a large number of Turkish workers who then raised familes, had kids etc in Germany so the name of "Khan" would be more common today than at that time period in question and a result of 1000 plus names would not be unusual, also since these badges were given out to those on ships who ran the foreign imposed blockade, ships which were likely not Kriegsmarine vessels, if the name was indeed "Khan" and not "Han" a person of Turkish origin serving on the vessel may not be suprising.

J

Comment

I have no problem with your badges.
                And if someone has scracht something postwar its still 100% original badges.

Andy

Comment

blockade runner set

Hi Tom no problem here an excellent set all original.

Comment

nice looking set, dont think the scratched name makes much difference either way, i could certainly live with it!!!!!
                    sigpic 57ers...."The Devil Is In The Detail"

Comment

KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - the Trekker in me couldn't resist. Sweet set!
                      Marc

Comment

This is just presumptuous thinking, but I believe the reason we see so many names engraved/scratched on the backs of Kriegs badges is because they could be easily returned to their recipient when lost on the deck of a naval vessel. I'm quite certain many were knocked from tunics because of rigorous daily chores aboard ships - not uncommon to find badges lying on deck.

BTW, a gorgeous set!

Comment

Looks good to me!!

Comment

I think Robert has it right...

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                            This is just presumptuous thinking, but I believe the reason we see so many names engraved/scratched on the backs of Kriegs badges is because they could be easily returned to their recipient when lost on the deck of a naval vessel. I'm quite certain many were knocked from tunics because of rigorous daily chores aboard ships - not uncommon to find badges lying on deck.

BTW, a gorgeous set!
                            Fine set IMHO and I think Robert probably has it correct.

Regards,
                            Stu

Comment

The name is fine imo.
                              Iam Uncle Sam
                              That’s who Iam
                              Been hiding out
                              In a rock and roll band

Comment

With 8 "Khans" listed on the Volksbund-site, it might be possible. Looking in todays phone book might lead to misinterpretation, I don´t think there lived many "Sanjib Habanjasings"...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X