Opinions on Coastal Artillery Badge please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on Coastal Artillery Badge please

I would be grateful for an opinion on this Coastal Artillery Badge Please.
    Attached Files

This is the back

Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

This is a cast fake of an L/56.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,
        Thanks for the info on the destroyer and Coastal Artillery Badge. Could you advise me why you think both badges are cast fakes?
        Thanks again,
        Peter.

Comment

Hello Peter,

In the first place, the pictures are terrible. Especially the obverse view of the W.H. Destroyer. Still, the posted pictures are sufficient for me to say with certainty that both badges are bad. I'm afraid that better pictures would only show more of the flaws in each of the badges. Neither badge appears to be zinc (which is the only metal that an L/56 Coastal Artillery and W.H. Destroyer should be made of). The base metal appears way too shiny on the fronts of both badges and that is not consistent with zinc. I say that the badges are cast because there seems to be evidence of pockmarks in the surface, most noticeable on the reverse of the W.H. Destroyer Badge. The details of the Coastal Artillery Badge seem weak, which is another indication of casting. The details of the Destroyer cannot be seen at all because of the poor quality of the picture. I also do not like the coloring of the wreaths. The gold color wash is way off. Another major flaw is that all of the attachment hardware is incorrect on the L/56 Coastal Artillery Badge: (catch, pin, and hinge are all wrong for L/56). The catch is also wrong on the W.H. Destroyer Badge. I can't comment on the hinge and pin on the Destroyer Badge as they are not shown in the photograph. Hope this clarifies things a bit more and I am sorry that I could not give you good news about these badges.
          Best regards,
          Tom
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hi Tom,
            Thanks for the quick tutorial, I have a lot to learn and everything helps. I must also improve my photographic skills. Your opinions are valuable because I have not yet purchased these items and now will not.
            Thanks again,
            Peter.

Comment

Hello again Peter,

You can find pictures of an original L/56 Coastal Artillery Badge on page 1 of the following thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228044

There are several examples of original W.H. Destroyer Badges on pages 2 and 4 of this thread:
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=229018

PS: Glad to hear that you did not buy these two badges. If uncertain, it is always better to post pictures on this forum before buying.

<table id="post2137082" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" align="right"> <!-- controls --> <!-- / controls --> </td></tr></tbody></table>
              Last edited by Tom Yanacek; 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks Tom. I will look up the badges using your links.
                Peter.

Comment

A fake. Please refer to my thread pinned at the top or use the search function for this badge. John

Comment

Thanks John,
                    Peter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X