U-505 Souvenir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-505 Souvenir

Anyone know what these are and what they might be worth? I was told they were given to those involved with saving the U-505 and bringing it to the Museum of Science and Industy in Chicago at the dedication celebration...

Tom

front:
    Attached Files

back:
    Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps you've already thought of this, but have you approached the Curator of the Museum to this out? I'm sure that this is not an unknown piece to them. I suspect they can't provide a value, but they sure as heck should know about its origins.

Also, what is the size of this item?

Good Luck

Ramon

Comment

Looks like it has a cork backing, as Ramon has said, it would be good to know the diameter, is it big enough to be a drinks coaster or ashtray?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
          Looks like it has a cork backing, as Ramon has said, it would be good to know the diameter, is it big enough to be a drinks coaster or ashtray?
          I thought it looked like a paper weight. A drink might wobble around on it. Maybe that's just to simulate being on a u-boat, though.

Comment

I found this information about the piece on another site. Seems they've labeled it a coaster, too.

Captured Nazi Submarine U-505 Dedication Medal, 1954. A Memorial to Gallant Americans Who Went Down at Sea, sub, September, 1954, Chicago, IL. This captured Nazi sub is now on display at the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry. Reportedly made from the Pig-Iron ballast, only 550 made. Uniface, deep relief, 3.5", coaster rev. XF+.

$90.00-100.00+
            http://www.exonumia.com/Sale10/all01.htm

Comment

WOW ! "Nazi submarine"... Now I know for sure, that our U-boats had the possibility to become am member of the NSDAP...

Regards, Peter

Comment

Hey, thanks for all the info!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                  some memorial huh...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X