• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

destroyer help

Hello could anyone give some idea of originality on this unmarked piece

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...4/IMG_1872.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63...4/IMG_1871.jpg

I personally would like to see some more PICS; detailed shots of the edges, and a nice straight-on shot of the front.

Some of the concerns I would have based on these PICS:

- The base material looks wrong (wrong metal-not tombak, not zinc).

- I see tiny blobs on the reverse that MAY indicate casting or something else.

- I don't like the finish of the front or back. Front looks more zinc, the back ??? The blackened back looks artificially aged to me and I really don't know what to say about the front.

- The hardware looks a bit more modern.

I have concerns that this is another one of the "Hero's" efforts. I may be wrong.
    Tim

Comment

The badge looks too thick compared with other destroyers. Perhaps this is only an illusion created by shadow.

If it's the Hero, he's really all over the place. That cat gets around

Comment

Much better pictures needed!

Comment

Hello Pete,

In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with the badge that you posted. I think it is completely genuine and is a zinc version of the L/18 (B.H. Mayer) badge. I have posted one below for comparison. The one I posted measures 53.51mm high x 45.82 mm wide. The weight is 22.8 grams. I have no problem with the dark charcoal gray/black appearance of your badge either. Some of the later zinc/kriegsmetall alloys can have that coloration. I don't believe your badge is some new forgery made by the Coward. (And I say Coward because I refuse to use the word Hero when referring to that piece-of-crap forger.)
          The badge I have pictured below has been in my collection since the late 70s, so this is not some new fake.

Best regards,
          Tom
          Attached Files
          Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

reverse:
            Attached Files
            Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes it looks very similar and measurements are virtually the same. I have had it for quite awhile. Many thanks for the info and leads on a maker. Cheers pete

Comment

Have to say personally I cannot see anything wrong, if you are going to bin it throw it my way . All the best

Comment

Hello Pete,

Also check posts #33, 34 & 35 of the following thread for pictures of an L/56 marked Destroyer Badge that looks similar if not identical to yours.
                  http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=229018&page=3

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! This was the badge that started my interest in german design. It was given to me. I'm glad it's a good one. PS No bin. Cheers pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X