Are these badges real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these badges real?

Hi, I recently picked these badges up at a shop in Costa Rica. The owner said they came in from an Argentinian. Knowing that many Germans fled there made me feel they were real. They are all missing the pins, although the eagle doesn't seem to have hinges where a pin was. The mark on the back of the Panzer assault badge is the mark of E. Ferdinand Wiedmann. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rockymtngal; 03-05-2008, 08:47 PM. Reason: error in pictures

The Panzer assault badge has a broken piece (obviously) that I put in place for the frontal photo:

Comment

Hello,

Im afraid all three items are crudely cast copies, in my opinion.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I guess I got taken. So the marks are faked too? Do these have any value even as crude copies, if that is what they are? I would like to sell them but I suppose they are not worth too much if they are copies.

Comment

Originally posted by tyanacek View Post
          Hello,

Im afraid all three items are crudely cast copies, in my opinion.

Best regards,
          Tom
          I am in total agreement with Tom.I hope you did not pay too much for them.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

If you don't mind, could you educate me a bit on why these are obvious fakes? Wouldn't early hand-made badges be crudely made? I see a lot with missing pins...What specifically about these looks fake? What do you think these are made out of? I'm guessing not silver? They are heavy. Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Comment

Badges

Originally posted by rockymtngal View Post
              If you don't mind, could you educate me a bit on why these are obvious fakes? Wouldn't early hand-made badges be crudely made? I see a lot with missing pins...What specifically about these looks fake? What do you think these are made out of? I'm guessing not silver? They are heavy. Thanks in advance for any additional info.
              Hi Rocky,
              The Germans didn't make early hand-made badges (unless they were field made-which these are not). Early German badges are die-struck. Not crudely cast as these happen to be. The details are too soft, the pitting, the crude mis-shappen reverse on them especailly the cap eagle. These are not original pieces. As far as value goes-$O. To be honest, they are not even close to good fakes.

The badges may be heavy, but density is not a sign of an original piece. Your pieces could be made of lead, pewter, pot metal, a melted tuna fish can, etc.

Surf this and other forums on this site and you can see many original pieces. Originals will stand out to you.

Regards,
              Jody
              Last edited by Jody Beltram; 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Expensive lesson learned. I bought these as part of a lot of other items at an antique shop. I am guessing these made up about $50 of what I paid for everything, so it's not so bad. I took a gamble and lost. I was not going to pay more than that since I did not know anything about these, not even that they were badges, but the man had so many neat things in his shop that I got caught up in everything and didn't pay sufficient attention to detail. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Thanks for the responses

Comment

Badges

Originally posted by rockymtngal View Post
                  Thanks for the info. Expensive lesson learned. I bought these as part of a lot of other items at an antique shop. I am guessing these made up about $50 of what I paid for everything, so it's not so bad. I took a gamble and lost. I was not going to pay more than that since I did not know anything about these, not even that they were badges, but the man had so many neat things in his shop that I got caught up in everything and didn't pay sufficient attention to detail. I was like a kid in a candy shop.

Thanks for the responses
                  Hi Rocky,
                  Well at least it was just $50. I have seen people taken for thousands, so consider yourself lucky. When it comes to buying 3rd Reich Militaria (or any other type of collectible), know what you are buying and don't be taken in by a good story.

Remember do your homework next time, because 3rd Reich collecting is a minefield.

Regards,
                  Jody

Comment

if your still looking for a panzer assult badge or a uboat badge buy one off the estand as theres plenty of them for sale there and there 100% real to!

Comment

Originally posted by Jody Beltram View Post

Remember do your homework next time, because 3rd Reich collecting is a minefield.
                      A mine field we all happily tap dance through while wearing lead booties

Comment

If you only were taken $100 for both, really, it's an inexpensive lesson. Like a fellow member said, some folks have been taken cfor thousands on RKs, repro SS daggers/degens, and so on. In the big scheme, your loss, even though it's a total bummer, is not too bad of a pill to swallow.

Buying items off the estand is a good way to go. Mandatory 7 day inspection period, no questions asked return policy. Chances are you'll nev er have to worry about it as the vast majority of fakes that end up there, get booted by our peers who police the for sale area.

Good collecting,
                        Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X